jopes1

Reaction score
Background info.
New engine ~60-70 miles
1500 miles on stage 2 full force injectors
Hpop has 276k miles
Gtp38r has about 100k
******** tunes

Engine runs great till is dies. I can drive around normally after it's warmed up I can kill the engine with going wot. In as little as 30 seconds or up to 5 minutes it will restart. When it will not start I do not have enough icp and ipr duty cycle is 90%.

Seems my ipr duty cycle is high, when I dies it is calling for 90%+ and my icp drops till it stalls.

Some times after the restart my icp will be stuck at xxxx pressure and the engine runs with low power until something happens and then I will start reading normally.

idle icp is at 608psi and 30% duty cycle.

At wot I am seeing 3800psi @ ~60% ipr duty cycle on economy setting.

Things I have done.
-Pulled valve covers and looked for excessive oil from injectors. They all look the same.
-swapped ipr coil with another and nothing changed.
-took ipr apart and cleaned, didn't see any thing in it when I done this. Same stalling issues after, orings are new.
-icp connection is dry from oil as sensor was replaced about 80,000 miles ago with a Ford sensor.
-fuel pressure is 55-60
-harness on drivers valve cover isnt rubbed thru, but I tied it up from the cover.
-cps has about 25,000 miles, Ford updated gray one.
-unplugged icp. Can drive and it will still stall.
-after diving and if it idles in driveway it will eventually stall again.

I have been reading for hours and not figured this out yet. I do have a ipr coming in tomorrow as it has 276k miles on it. Again, a Ford ipr.

Any ideas on what is going on with this? It ran fine before the new engine.

jopes1

Reaction score
Yes full of 10w30 motorcraft diesel oil since it is barely been above zero degrees here.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Sounds like a hi pressure leak then. Could be injector o rings, oil rail plug o rings, ipr, pump, etc... Anything to air test it with? Have you checked for oil from the injectors when its faulted? More than likely its heat related. Best bet is to install the valve covers with 2 bolts, make it die, then go thru checking everything, as the valve covers will pop right off then.

superpsd

Reaction score
The IPR duty Cycle is way too high. Should be around 10% or so at idle. I am also betting on a high pressure leak. May also try and dump some 15w40 in it. Either way you have an issue. My first guess will be upper poppet seat(s) not sealing correctly. The problem will get worse when hot as the oil thins out and can leak out much faster. It's going to take some further investigation.

Last edited:

jopes1

Reaction score
If it is a high pressure leak, when the oil is thinned from running, once it dies on me once it restarts some time it runs fine other times the icp is locked on a pressure and the ipr is pegged at 90%.

As in some times I will see 800 psi at idle at higher rpms and other times it has been as high as 1600 psi at idle and doesn't change when the truck is driven.

psduser1

Reaction score
Fluctuating idle, icp duty cycle "sticking", high duty cycle all point to air in the hpo system. I'd say the icp sensor is trying to compensate for air in the system. The high mile hpop isn't doing you any favors, but that is probably not the issue causing the stall condition.
If I'm reading your op correctly, there is only 60-70 miles on your rebuild?
As suggested, a leak on the hpo circuit, or possibly an intermittent leak on the lpo side (cracked pickup tube, poor seal between pickup tube and pump, loose oil galley plug, etc.)
Any leaks that would allow air into the hpo circuit will drive the pcm nuts trying to compensate for pressure swings.

jopes1

Reaction score
Something I just noticed on some screen shots I took.

When the ipr duty cycle sky rockets to 90% the voltage is down to .8 volts. Should the voltage be higher as the duty cycle increases?

mandkole

Reaction score
in case you haven't seen this manual? Ive looked at this multiple times over the years.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1818

Continue your troubleshooting, as others have said, youre at the point of seeing if the cyl head rails will maintain pressure. Ive never gotten results with 'cleaning' the IPR--how old is it?

@ 276K, components are getting tired but you appear to be bleeding pressure. Do you maintain oil level in the reservoir? Its got oil when it dies?

Have you put a mechanical gauge on the low pressure oil?

jopes1

Reaction score
Now it tossed a p0340 code for the camshaft sensor.

I have a spare I'll toss in there and see what it does next.

As for guages. Not yet. That will be my next set of days off when I put gauges on the truck, including the left and right head one at a time with a 5000 lb guage I have.

jopes1

Reaction score
Ok, my favorite ups delivery lady showed up with my new ipr.

Damn engine was hot, but it's in there. Took it out for a hot lap and could not get it to stall out @ wot. Did the swamps hpop test for the hottest tune from 60-90 mph and icp held at 2650psi and I did have a check engine light flash at me a couple times.

Only code was p1211. But what I read on the swamps hpop test I should be good, considering I rarely drive the truck like that constantly. Most of the time I leave the tuner in heavy tow.

Latest posts

Members online