Mpg

ChitownPS

Reaction score
So I have had my truck ******d for over a year now and the best I can get is 13mpg city driving. It has h&s mini max, egr ******, proflow 4" w/muffler and NL stage 2 intake. Do you guys think having the muffler is killing fuel Mileage? What kind of mpg are you guys seeing? I'm pretty much in performance mode all the time

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ChitownPS

Reaction score
Ok, just over heard a friend that has a 7.3 say a muffler kills his mileage. I know they are 2 different engines. Just figured I would ask. Any input on upping the mpg sootie? Different tuning maybe? Or it is what it is?

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Agreeded muffler will not do a single thing for mileage. My hasnt changed since I added mine. What size tires? What gears do you have? Do you have a lift? How much idle time do you see?

I get 17-19 40% city/60% hwy very low idle time. On straight highway trips I've gotten as high as 23.1 back and forth to houston twice on the same tank. I have 1.25 inch shorter than stock tires (not my choice on the tires I was in a bind and all they had in stock for the load rating) and 3.31 gears in my truck. I drive 1 or 2 over the speed limit, but do not drive over 75mph unless there is someone that deserves it....all hand calculated and almost always fill up at the same station and pump.

GH sotf tunes is what i am running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ChitownPS

Reaction score
The tire is a 325/50/22 I believe they are 35". I'm in the suburbs of Chicago. So lots of stop and go. Highest speeds around here are 40mph. This is all off the dummy gauge on the dash. It consistently stays at 12.9 to 13.0 with very little fluctuation. I'm considering different tuning. But need to do more research first.

doo dah

Reaction score
I get 17 on the highway, 15 in town, 10 towing up to 10k pounds and 8-9 over 10k pounds. No lift, factory tire size deeleted non VGT and I enjoy spirited driving when not in traffic. Oh, and I have a HUGE muffler that has not affected mileage.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I'm around 14-15 I think, mixed driving. Don't really pay attention anymore. CC/LB, 364.5 MPD, EZ Lynk with 150hp tune on all the time, 35's/20's and leveling kit. I like the way it sounds so I'm sure that doesn't help the mpgs LOL

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
That is a 13" wide tire!! I bet if you hand calculated it is different from the lie o meter on the dash. Is your speedometer running true to actual speed? Not to mention you are running winter fuel worse fuel economy from that. Also I bet it takes your truck awhile to get up to operating temp up there in the cold. I bet if you plugged it in at night and ran a grille cover mileage would come up some. Winter fuel for me is a good 1.5 to 2mpg drop in fuel economy.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
People don't understand that removing egr decreases MPG

ChitownPS

Reaction score
The 13mpg is year round. I don't drive it much in the winter unless it snows a **** load. Mostly due to living only 20mins away from work and it never really getting up to temp. It rests in a heated garage. So there is not much idle time when I do use it. Maybe 5 mins or so. Speedometer is off about 3 mph. I will try hand calculating next fill up.

ChitownPS

Reaction score
How do you figure that? After removing mine went from 14-15 in the winter to 17-18. And I added 35s as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
What's all done to your truck? Who's tuning?

ckrueg

Reaction score
What's all done to your truck? Who's tuning?

It's a 16 running the Patriot 500 tune with 2nd gear lockup. Also have a no limit stage one. I'm about to put a 5 inch downpipe back vs the de lete pipe only. In the summer I was averaging 19-21 overall, but that was a lot of highway.

jimmystoys

Reaction score
Mines all *******, warhammer on all the time, 40", about 9000#. I get between 12-14 maybe 15mpg (that's US calculation, Canadian gallon is bigger so would be about 20% more on the numbers. Only sounds good if your Canadian) if I'm nice to it on the freeway. I try and not step into it a lot to get it going. Watch the traffic and get off the pedal soon as I can. My goal is (lol) to coast and hear the 40"s hum and no engine sound. You tend to overestimate how much acceleration you really need to move your truck if you watch traffic or traffic patterns. Fuel mileage is a big goal for me to keep as high as I can with the size of the truck.....but...with this truck, does it really matter?! I ask myself all the time...:evil

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
How do you figure that? After removing mine went from 14-15 in the winter to 17-18. And I added 35s as well.

EGR returns unburnt fuel, therefore using less fuel.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
What about regens? I am going to have to firmly disagree about mpg before and after the 6.7 dewete. I remeber very clearly I was driving to the in laws I had just filled up and reset the dash. I was getting about 18.5 going 65 then it started a regen. By the time it was done I was at 12.5 mpg. This is flat ground btw.

ckrueg

Reaction score
Yeah the whole goal of EGR is to cool combustion temps to reduce NOX, which also decreases the thermal efficiency of the engine. It also requires running more boost at any given time because a large portion of the air being sent in to the intake is exhaust which has very little oxygen. Part of the reason they went to DEF was so they could run less EGR while maintaining low NOX emissions. That's one reason why 6.7s get better mpg than 6.4s and why the newer rams with DEF do better than those without.

Latest posts

Members online