Resurgence of a F100

6speedsd

Reaction score
Autolite 25's. Kept reading up on it and all the mustang guys swore by them in their fox bodies. Figured I'd try them myself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Autolite 25's. Kept reading up on it and all the mustang guys swore by them in their fox bodies. Figured I'd try them myself.

right on.. the neighbor i used to hang out with and went to the track all the time with and had a 72.5 vega with a bbc that ran 8.90s swore by autolite/ford racing plugs in his and many others said the same about them.. not sure why. guess they had a sharper/crisper spark that was more consistent.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
So since installing the MSD and Autolites, my hesitation off idle has come back, and mpg's have dropped almost a full 1.5. First tank was like before, I was up to like 13, but now the past 4 tanks have all been 11.5 at best, and that hesitation is there again. Checked everything I can think of...it's acting like it did before I found out the choke wasn't fully opening. But it's still ziptied wide open. Part to heavy throttle she runs like a banshee with that ignition upgrade, but I can't understand the mpg drop being so drastic. Still driving it the same was as before. Not saying it's the fault of either upgrade...just an odd coincidence at the timing. Considering changing back to Motorcraft plugs and see if it changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
How about an update....its been a while.

Still driving the truck about 3 days a week. Still getting about 12mpg, but haven't had a single issue with it. Fires up on the coldest mornings with 2 pats to the accelerator. I guess since last update I've installed a 1 wire alternator to clean up some of ole boys hacked underhood wiring. Put on a set of tall cast aluminum valve covers. Been fixing little wiring issues I've found here and there. But other than that, just driving it. Love this truck. Might be going to look at another 77 next weekend, but this one is a F150 and 4x4, big block 4spd.
869e876561aa8828fd1553977c6fd3ad.jpg
821f20771f324b8f4aad00929dd7f4c1.jpg
5ae60cc587321a7ef028ff3eeab2c4e2.jpg

6speedsd

Reaction score
Entered it in a car show last fall. I had more people stop and ask about the truck than the guys with $100k+ cars,.
8171002a48e313caf451519dcfdd1d2c.jpg

6speedsd

Reaction score
Looking good! Why not try to re gear it for better milage? Or dont care anymore?

live life full throttle

Most of my driving is at 70-75mph. I’d love a better gear...3.73or even a 4.10....but at those speeds I’d need to do a AOD swap. I’m already pushing 3000rpm at 75. It is what it is....I drive it to work 2 days, I fill it up.

I still hate this Summit carb, but haven’t done anything about it. It still loads up at idle sometimes, and I’m getting some seep down past the needle after it sits for 30min to an hour. A little hard to crank after sitting that long, and it smells of gas when it does, and doesn’t want to idle. I just need to break down and buy a new Holley and be done with it, but it’s running and I’ve been lazy.

Still trying to decide which route I want to go with it honestly. Better heads and keep the 302.....as is and slap on a turbo......or go for more cubes......too many options really, and it’s running too good at the moment (aside from the carb bs I mentioned) to make me expedite the decision process. For now, and probably the foreseeable future, it’ll be as it is.

6speedsd

Reaction score
So I'm bored with the power output of the 302 in my F100. It's ok...but when is ok good enough? Been thinking about buying a good set of heads for it (probably AFR's). Between those and a set of roller rockers, that's been dynoed to add nearly 80hp over stock garbage E7 casting heads...which mine has currently. AFR's are $1600ish, and in a 302 platform, you dont have much more room to grow before you start worrying about splitting a block in half.* My original plan was turbo, but that splitting issue is what changed my mind. As a typical ********, my brain starts wandering to bigger fish....bigger as in cubes.* Let's throw a 460 in this bitch!* So I ran with that a bit lately....but now I'm thinking otherwise. I'd probably have to alter my driveshaft going from C4 to C6, I highly doubt the Dana 44 rear this thing has would handle the torque of a BBF very long, added weight over the front end, tracking down the correct engine perches....we are adding up the cost quick here. Not counting rebuilding the 460/C6 when I find one. Then there's the fuel mileage....75mph is most of my driving, so I'd be guessing maybe 7mpg at best.* But the torque yo.....I love a torquey monster.* Yesterday while perusing CL, I come across a 351W, still in the crate that some dude bought but sold the truck before installing. Would need basic accessories, but it's just a stock rebuild, zero miles 351W.* I love that engine, always have, and it's a decent starting point for a build. Guys asking*$850,*which is a good price in my opinion.* With it I can reuse my C4, engine mounts, ect.* Part of me wants to jump on it, but I'm still stuck with a small block.* But a 351 with a better set of heads and a good cam is 400hp easy.* I really do have too many options here...lol. I want a BBF in the Pumpkin bad, but realistically the Windsor makes more sense to me, If for nothing more than simplicity and cost.*

Jake, before you say it, NO I can't just leave it alone. Lol.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I agree as well. Drive it for a bit and enjoy it even more. Then upgrade little at a time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Regardless of which engine I bought, it would get built while still driving the 302. I wouldn’t tear the truck down until I had the new one ready to transplant. The 351 would make that process much quicker, seeing as how I wouldn’t need to swap anything but the engine. But like I said, the low end grunt of that BB just makes me drool. I do think, however, the 351w would be a good middle of the road power plant. Can get the low end with the right add on’s, yet still hold the rpms if I went there. Plus stroking that 351 to a 408 is super easy, and stout!

Keep in mind, I’ve been driving this truck over a year now. 200ish miles a week on average. It’s not like I just got it back on the road.

shmoozer

Reaction score
I think a 351 with a turbo hung out front would an absolute riot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
In still not past doing what the Engine Masters guys did to that junkyard 302 and a OBS turbo. Just don’t want to open my 302 up to widen the ring end gaps to handle boost. As it sits, this thing is a perfect little NA engine. Just in my heavy truck with 3.08 gears, it don’t giddy up like I want. In a lighter Mustang with OD and a 3.73 or 4.10 it would be much quicker. I can’t regrear that high with driving at the speeds I do. I could do a AOD swap, then regear but why do all that when I can just swap in some cubes and accomplish the same thing. I’d rather add cubes, then sell the 302 to recoup some costs. This engine came out of a 92 GT, so it “should” have forged pistons, which is a bonus for boost. Like I said....too many options.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Haha, not me. I just want you to try it and see how it does so i can start recycling my cans to save some pennies to build it :hammer:

Latest posts

Members online