Bigger tires for 99-04 dually trucks

Zaairman

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've tried searching not finding much luck here. Recently acquired an 04 cc lb drw 4x4. I'd like to put some slightly bigger tires on it as the stock 235/85/16s are kinda wimpy looking.

Here's my dilemma. We tow with the truck. A lot. Not heavy (12k lbs or so), but a lot. And our gooseneck horse trailer isn't very tall, so I don't want to go too tall. And, I'd prefer the tires not stick out past the rear fenders.

So, my research has shown, I can go to a 255/85/16 with no spacer. But, I can only seem to find those in a mud terrain type tire, and I'd prefer not to go that route (I'd like ATs).

I've seen guys with 285/75/16s, but seems they all have 2" spacers, which kicks out the tires too far. Don't get me wrong, I love the fat azz rear end look, it's just not what I am going for with this truck.

Can you run a 285/75/16 tire with a small spacer and not have issues towing? Like I said, not towing crazy heavy, but rather be safe than sorry.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can get away with 265/75-16s without a spacer. Same height. Just a little wider. 255/85s are hard to come by these days. If you're dead set on having a taller tire, you may need to look into 17" or bigger wheels. Otherwise they get too wide.

Latest posts

Members online