6.4 piston cooling jet replacement

webb06

Reaction score
Has anyone had success in replacing one of these jets by removing upper and lower oil pan? I know it will be an extremely tight spot. I’ve read several threads where 7.3 guys say they’ve done it by removing the pan so I figure these should be similar enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You shouldnt have an issue, i wouldnt think. May take some wobbly socket which may make it a pain to torque, but it should work. Just put the piston/rod where it is easiest to see the jet.

Can i ask why you are replacing jets only?

webb06

Reaction score
You shouldnt have an issue, i wouldnt think. May take some wobbly socket which may make it a pain to torque, but it should work. Just put the piston/rod where it is easiest to see the jet.

Can i ask why you are replacing jets only?

It’s a long story but I’ve got time. Customer/friend of mine bought a 6.4 F450 that used to be an ambulance. He got the truck home and I told him how bad of shape the engine was in. So he takes it back to the guy he bought it from and he was willing to “rebuild” the engine. My buddy bought a master rebuild kit and the block was sent to be machined. He put it all back together and my buddy brought it back home. Still wasn’t running right. Needed the hpfp replaced. So I pulled the cab and fixed everything I could see externally and replaced the hpfp. When I had the pump out I could see the cooling jet for #8 but #7 was broken off. Had to use a mirror to see the bolt and mounting plate were there but the jet was busted at the weld. At this point my buddy wanted me just to put it back together but in the future, if the truck makes it, he wants me to attempt replacing that #7 jet. So that’s why, because someone wasn’t smart enough to replace them when it was completely tore down.

Reaction score
surprised it holds good oil pressure with a jet MIA. Are the tips not actually the measured nozzle area that controls flow?

webb06

Reaction score
surprised it holds good oil pressure with a jet MIA. Are the tips not actually the measured nozzle area that controls flow?

It’s the same size coming out of the little plate as it is at the end of the jet.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What is it they say? Think a good mechanic is expensive, try going to a cheap one? Lol. That sucks. Wonder what the piston looks like?

webb06

Reaction score
What is it they say? Think a good mechanic is expensive, try going to a cheap one? Lol. That sucks. Wonder what the piston looks like?

Relative compression is good across the board and I know the kit my buddy bought had new pistons and it’s got less than 500 miles on it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Well thats good. I dont know how long the pistons will go without any cooling however.

webb06

Reaction score
Well thats good. I dont know how long the pistons will go without any cooling however.

From the little bit of reading I’ve done apparently a lot of 7.3 truck owners used to find a broken cooling jet in the oil pan when changing oil and most said they never fixed it and didn’t have any trouble. Take that for what it’s worth though...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
def some difference I feel in 7.3 vs 6.4 here...

I bet if he does any kind of work with it or performance it wont take long to score up that cylinder. ugh

im still trying to dig up some pictures of bottom ends to see if we can see them

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
QAQIvhb.jpg

jTdZ4Sz.jpg

fk9H9Kb.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
well, from what I see. Im going to go with the fact that its worth a shot. It might take a 1/4 inch universal to do it... may have to undo a rod cap and spin engine over to make room

webb06

Reaction score
def some difference I feel in 7.3 vs 6.4 here...

I bet if he does any kind of work with it or performance it wont take long to score up that cylinder. ugh

im still trying to dig up some pictures of bottom ends to see if we can see them

It’s a 450 and he’ll be hauling a skid steer on a gooseneck pretty much all the time. Thanks for the pics. I was hoping someone had some.

Latest posts

Members online