2010 or 2011?

genie144

Reaction score
So I am looking at a few new trucks... If you had the choice between a 2010 with ~70k miles and a 2011 with ~90k miles - everything else being equal including price - what would you choose and why?

Sorry for the nerdbook like question, I am faced with that choice if I buy a new truck. I have found a 2010 black on black lariat and a 2011 black on black lariat for the same price. Deal from a dollars perspective is nearly identical...

So the last year of 6.4 or first year of 6.7?

Thank you for any input
Sam

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
6.7 every day of the week. period. they make great power, not quite as much but enough. way more reliable, better resale, interior is a tad nicer. and they tow and ride better imo.

BK39

Reaction score
If you want mainly power without doing much to it, 6.4. If you want the comfort and nicer truck, 6.7.

There are days that I miss my 08 because of the power, but the comfort of this newer truck makes up for it.

genie144

Reaction score
Is there really a difference between a 2010 and 2011 in ride quality? I'm looking for reliable daily driver only. I tow occasionally and have other trucks for the heavy lifting.

Sam

genie144

Reaction score
2011 is from New York (rust belt)
2010 is Northwest/Southwest truck

Both lariat with ultimate package. Black on black. Such a hard choice.

Sam

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
6.4s are really hit and miss. If you could see the service history on the truck and see that it hasn't been at the dealer a lot then it could be a solid truck. That being said, there are days I wish I had waited for a 6.7, BUT if its a Job 1 I'd keep looking.

BK39

Reaction score
Is there really a difference between a 2010 and 2011 in ride quality?
Sam

They do have different rear leaf springs. But it's not that noticeable in the way it rides, IMO. Go for the 6.7, like someone posted earlier, it'll have higher resale value, it's probably the better deal in the long run.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I've got an 11' built 12/10. Took it in for the TSB for the exhaust valves and I've got 120K on it. Not babied at all but I don't tow with it, yet. Would do it all again if I had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I've got an 11' built 12/10. Took it in for the TSB for the exhaust valves and I've got 120K on it. Not babied at all but I don't tow with it, yet. Would do it all again if I had to.

This is not just a 2011 concern. This happens to them all. And the issue wasn't with the valve persay. Several trucks that have had the TSB done have been back again to have 8 more Shiney new valves installed. Some 2 and some 3 times. The issue is with the regen process and cooking the valves and seals making them brittle. Post detonation after the exhaust valve. The regen fuel was not supposed to detonate shortly after the valve closed but continue on as a flame.

The real issue is the regen software and the quality of diesel fuel. The result is a scared FoMoCo and dropping valves from a regen.

This is why I delete a new truck when I get one from the dealer floor.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
Well the TSB that I went in for was for an 11 built before a certain date and mine fell under that category.
I know the regen BS isn't beneficial to the longevity of these engines. Which is exactly why I deleted my truck the first chance I had. And if I bought a brand new one I would delete it too.
I wasn't saying that the TSB for the valves was a solve all for these trucks. But I was not aware that it was common on other year models of the 6.7 I just thought it was the early build 11s

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Well the TSB that I went in for was for an 11 built before a certain date and mine fell under that category.
I know the regen BS isn't beneficial to the longevity of these engines. Which is exactly why I deleted my truck the first chance I had. And if I bought a brand new one I would delete it too.
I wasn't saying that the TSB for the valves was a solve all for these trucks. But I was not aware that it was common on other year models of the 6.7 I just thought it was the early build 11s

Cool.

You wouldnt happen to know the TSB# by chance?

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to remember it if I wanted too lol.
I found a thread on the org and a guy had posted the TSB# and the description and that's that's when I started looking into when my truck was built and it fell under the build date requirement and the rough idle and rough idle during regen, it was something along those lines. I have the paperwork from the ford house in my truck I'll look to see if the TSB is listed on there.

Latest posts

Members online