08 F350 axels swap Into my 1996 powerstroke help??

Layson

Reaction score
And all you end up with is a 4" kit with a 4 link with bilsteins. You should have a ****ing badass setup for 17k worth of work. You should have badass brakes? The only badass thing I see is the dynatrac ball joints.

I love how he charges you for cleaning supplies. Then charges you for u-joint and ball-joint install.

We will have maybe a 1000 into my friends truck when we are done. Axles are all over the place. Last truck we got it all for 500 from the junkyard. I know the local shop here wouldn't charge you that much to install. It isn't that much to ship a pallet or even a rolling chassis across the country.

Why didn't Cary just source you some used axles?

You could have had dynatrac put together your axles for that price.

m j

Reaction score
'05+ stuff is so cheap locally I am thinking hard about swapping to it.
I guess I need to look at what is different with '08+ axles

brettboat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If it was gonna be 23 grand originally, and you were gonna pay it, why not just buy an 08-10 truck?

Because anyone can go out and buy a new truck and honestly I don't trust the new diesels over my 7.3. Look at my signature, clearly I don't have a problem throwing thousands upon thousands on my obs.

As for charges for cleaning supplies... Dude I'm an aircraft mechanic and I charge for cleaning supplies. The **** ain't free lol.

As for the swap cost... I can't even find a doner 08+ 4x4 truck here locally and I don't have time to fab for months and months on end. I need to drop my **** off at a 4x4 shop and have it back up and running in 2 weeks. lol

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I do understand that. And it sounds like your set on what you want. I even understand cleaning supplys..... but...... drop the free spin kit!

JD3020

Reaction score
Multiple people have done the swap in 1-2 days. Its damn near bolt on, just drill holes. I've done the math in my head and with 4 link front($1k), nice set of axles($1500), new wheels and tires($2500), and the other few odds and ends i'm right around $5k in parts.

But like Frank and others have said, no point in the free-spin kit. My brothers 06 6.0 has 140k miles on original wheel bearings. It originally had auto hubs but we threw in a set of Ford manual hubs a couple months ago.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
He's paying for u-joints, psint, blasting, labor, new brakes, tires, wheels, alighnment, hell I have around 400 in bolts and drill bits..... I can see it, if you want to drop it off and be done so be it, I could just never chuck that much change on it.

Jomax

Reaction score
I don't see the need for the heat towards him. His money, he can burn it for all I care. If he's happy in the end, that's ALL that matters!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
'05+ stuff is so cheap locally I am thinking hard about swapping to it.
I guess I need to look at what is different with '08+ axles

not a lot is different. on the front axle, the sway bar links mount differently.

bruce

Reaction score
Because anyone can go out and buy a new truck and honestly I don't trust the new diesels over my 7.3. Look at my signature, clearly I don't have a problem throwing thousands upon thousands on my obs.

As for charges for cleaning supplies... Dude I'm an aircraft mechanic and I charge for cleaning supplies. The **** ain't free lol.

As for the swap cost... I can't even find a doner 08+ 4x4 truck here locally and I don't have time to fab for months and months on end. I need to drop my **** off at a 4x4 shop and have it back up and running in 2 weeks. lol

Buy a new one, pay someone to build yours, 'bout the same

Strokersace

Reaction score
Skip the 4-link though, that is where you are going to run into bumpsteer.

Yeah I'm going back and forth on this for sure. I love the look of the 4 link, but don't want to affect the ride quality and characteristics. Ad long as I can get a 3 link that'll work with the slightly lowered front springs (4800 lb) then I'll likely go that route. Definitely don't want to go any higher.

Layson

Reaction score

I am not questioning why you would put that kind of money into an old truck. I am not one to talk...LOL. But I do know what you can get for 17k worth of work on your trucks suspension. You are not getting that. You are getting something that honestly you will be marginally impressed with. Only because you are used to what you are driving now.

You could ship your truck to a shop and have more work done to it then that. Spending 10k in stock axles is a real waste. Just think what you could have on your truck for 10-13k worth of suspension work. You could have 3.0 shocks, coilovers, bypasses, and have one of the coolest and best ridding setups. Heck I think you could have someone custom design a suspension kit at that height for you for that price and have it all work correctly and bolt on.

Yeah I'm going back and forth on this for sure. I love the look of the 4 link, but don't want to affect the ride quality and characteristics. Ad long as I can get a 3 link that'll work with the slightly lowered front springs (4800 lb) then I'll likely go that route. Definitely don't want to go any higher.

I know the radius/3-link style setup is going to be a nice mannered and drive like stock kind of deal. No bumpsteer and you may even beable to skip the sway bars. A 4-link setup is going to be a little more challenging to get it correct where you definitely will need sway bars and a well matched set of shocks. But the difficult part is usually getting the geometry correct to minimize the amount of bumpsteer.

I do know that the OUO setup has enough adjustment for lowered trucks without modifying them.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
MJ...... 08+ has Slightly bigger brakes. Rear shock hanger are welded on instead of bolt on. Coil bucket is slightly different with number of bolts and a stud on the back, and sway bar as mentioned

Members online

No members online now.