possible weak fuel pump?

Wesley

Reaction score
A little new to ths diesel world and after finally getting my truck back after a tranny rebuild and replacing the wishbone fuel line its gotten pretty cold and ive learned either my glow plugs or my gpr need replaced, but even after the block heater has been plugged in it seems to struggle starting, white smoke, and long crank times, however with a quick mist of starting fluid it fires right up, not really sure what to check first but my clue to a weak fuel pump is absolutely no black smoke ever, under a load, or on 140 with the ts, which every other ts tuned psd ive seen/driven has smoked ridiculously turned up, no smoke doesnt hurt my feelings, just hard starts! Thanks in advance

79jasper

Reaction score
Stock injectors generally won't smoke.
How long are you plugging the block heater in for? Sure it's working?
Start with making sure the whole glowplug system is up to par.
How old is the oil? Viscosity? Brand?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Wesley

Reaction score
Oil is pretty fresh, less than 1,000 miles, Rotella, the other morning it was about 15 degrees and I left it plugged it for well over an hour and it still struggled, last night around 50 degrees it was only plugged in fot about 15 minutes but still wouldnt start without starting fluid, block heater is working for sure

AzPsd55

Reaction score
You shouldn't use starting fluid on these trucks it's really bad, and i would try and get a gauge on it to check your fuel pressure to see if the pump is getting weak

79jasper

Reaction score
Must block heaters take a few hours to make a real difference. At least mine does, and a 550 I used to drive.

zilla68

Reaction score
15 minutes isn't doing anything with a block heater.
I had a few issues and I changed the injectors and mine starts right up now with no issues, but I also did new gp, injectors, harnesses etc.

Spoolin'

Reaction score
Pretty sure stock injectors will be able to create a little smoke on a 140 tune. Change the glow plugs, check fuel pressure with a gauge, and leave the block heater on longer than 15 minutes and see if anything changes.

79jasper

Reaction score
Pretty sure stock injectors will be able to create a little smoke on a 140 tune. Change the glow plugs, check fuel pressure with a gauge, and leave the block heater on longer than 15 minutes and see if anything changes.

Do you know anything about obs powerstrokes? Lol

Needs to plug it in for a few hours.

JCart

Reaction score
So can someone explain why Starting Fluid and Glow Plug systems shouldn't be used together and what damage could occur if used. Also what starting procedure should be employed if you must use fluid with a GP system?

Wesley, your engine block is a pretty hefty chunk of iron, fluid and takes some time generally 3 hours minimum (least that's what I've found) plugged for good results pending ambient air temp. You're block heater is located just above the oil filter and once you plug it in you can hear it working, sounds kinda like an electric kettle... It's a 1000 watts iirc and can be clearly heard if you put your ear close to top of drivers front tire once plugged in.

Cheers and happy dieseling,

jrc

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
GP and starting fluid is a no-no.

3 hours is the norm for the block heater to be effective.

Billy T.
[email protected]
this... standard procedure!!

either leave it plugged in over night or at minimum plug it in 3hrs before you atempt to start it un under 30° weather. and for the love of god, please get the junk rotella out and put in dello 15-40... only cold start issues my dually has ever had was when i first got the truck and was using rotella, both dino and synthetic are junk....
So can someone explain why Starting Fluid and Glow Plug systems shouldn't be used together and what damage could occur if used. Also what starting procedure should be employed if you must use fluid with a GP system?

Wesley, your engine block is a pretty hefty chunk of iron, fluid and takes some time generally 3 hours minimum (least that's what I've found) plugged for good results pending ambient air temp. You're block heater is located just above the oil filter and once you plug it in you can hear it working, sounds kinda like an electric kettle... It's a 1000 watts iirc and can be clearly heard if you put your ear close to top of drivers front tire once plugged in.

Cheers and happy dieseling,

jrc
ever heard of eather bombing an engine? seen cranks laying on the ground from exploding them...

if at all needed, make sure the glowplugs are unplugged, give it a wif directly in the intake and roll it over. if glowplugs are somewhat working then you must be rolling the motor over when you apply a wif of eather(sp?) cuz if the gp's light and there is fumes already in the cinder you will hear a woof or a loud bang and **** will be destroyed...

live life full throttle

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The reason they say not to use ether with glow plugs is when the glow plugs are red hot, the vapor from the ether is mixed with air. When it hits the hot glow plug it ignites and explodes and can damage the engine.

You can still use ether if you squirt the ether in the intake first then get in and turn the key on and start it immediately. That way the glow plugs don't have time to get hot enough to light the ether. The ether is compressed in the cylinder and the heat of compression fires the mixture because ether is so much more flammable than diesel fuel. Or you can remove the GP wires (load side of relay).

Billy T.
[email protected]

rusty1161

Reaction score
The reason they say not to use ether with glow plugs is when the glow plugs are red hot, the vapor from the ether is mixed with air. When it hits the hot glow plug it ignites and explodes and can damage the engine.

You can still use ether if you squirt the ether in the intake first then get in and turn the key on and start it immediately. That way the glow plugs don't have time to get hot enough to light the ether. The ether is compressed in the cylinder and the heat of compression fires the mixture because ether is so much more flammable than diesel fuel. Or you can remove the GP wires (load side of relay).

Billy T.
[email protected]

Also, if you are too "generous" with ether, you can have a runaway condition and overspeed the engine and break parts that way, too.

Rusty

Wesley

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation! Id heard it was bad but never really knew why, anyone have an idea what glow plugs would cost to replace? If I had a warm place to do it I might do it myself but its looking like i'll be finding a mechanic

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation! Id heard it was bad but never really knew why, anyone have an idea what glow plugs would cost to replace? If I had a warm place to do it I might do it myself but its looking like i'll be finding a mechanic
couple hundy plus parts at a shop..

live life full throttle

superpsd

Reaction score
I use wd-40 to start old diesel engines I never use ether. Wd-40 will also help seat the rings on say an old engine that hasn't started in years. It has lubricating properties, ether does not.

Latest posts

Members online