1st Ford/1st diesel!

Armybyrd

Reaction score
Hey guys just bought a 2008 f250 with the 6.4. Actually still waiting to pick it up though. The check engine light came on and the lot is taking their time getting it done. I pulled the trigger since it seemed like a pretty good deal, '08 F250 xl cclb for $14k with 131k miles. It's just an xl but it does have the bigger heated mirrors, vinyl seats, CD player and a few other options. This will be my daily driver and at most will tow a few cars(firebird or vette) a few times a year. I've been looking for a truck but wanted something that would last and the powerstrokes seem to be the only ones decently priced. I've been reading up on the diesel world trying to learn everything I can.

Last edited:

Armybyrd

Reaction score
Hoping you guys can make me feel better about my purchase. I've been reading up and watching videos from Powerstroke specialty and now I wish I would've done more research. :/

Armybyrd

Reaction score
So after a week I still haven't picked the truck up from the dealer. Still not sure what's wrong with it as they can't give me a straight answer. All they said was they did a compression test and have the engine apart and they have a back up engine if news be. :/

JMart

Reaction score
So after a week I still haven't picked the truck up from the dealer. Still not sure what's wrong with it as they can't give me a straight answer. All they said was they did a compression test and have the engine apart and they have a back up engine if news be. :/

I would be backing out of that deal if you never took delivery of the truck.

And welcome to the site!

Armybyrd

Reaction score
I already did the paperwork so I don't think that's an option. I test drove it and everything was fine and didn't hear anything unusual.

slowcoupe

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. The 6.4 is definitely a different beast but not a bad motor if well maintained and preventative maintenance is done.

Be glad the incident occurred before you took delivery and had to deal with this out of your pocket. See if you can talk the shop into installing head studs if the engine is apart. Tell them you will supply the parts if they can install them while the motor is split.

Armybyrd

Reaction score
So the latest is the tech tore the engine apart and replaced some bearings, a glow plug and an injector. I'm new to diesels but not to cars so I was under the impression all bearings would have to be changed at once or it would make sense to while you're in there and the crank would need to be polished as well as everything measured. But then again this was the salesmen relaying the message to me so I'll definitely ask to speak with the tech. Anyways they say it will be ready in the morning. Now I've been reading up on these and want to get rid of the departiculate filter. What exactly is needed to get rid of it? I'm assuming I need a tune along with it?

Layson

Reaction score
Make sure they give you some kind of warranty on the engine.... it is too bad they couldn't have done some upgrades to it while it was torn apart....

Armybyrd

Reaction score
I do have a 2 yr/24k warranty on it but I have a road trip across country towing my wife's suv in a few weeks and now I'm paranoid about something going wrong.

JMart

Reaction score
Send a message to BigRPower, he is Mike at No Limit, he will get you taken care of on any unwanted things that might be on that truck, and anything you might need to add to it.

BK39

Reaction score
get the *** out of that deal!

^^^^^^^^^^This.

Or if you keep it. I wouldn't tune it, that way when it breaks again, you can take it in for warranty. If you get rid of the EPA crap on it, it will probably void your warranty.

mandkole

Reaction score
This is not sounding good-- these engines are very sensitive to maintenance. Replaced 'some' bearings? Sounds like they are hiding a much bigger issue.

The good news is that you've not taken delivery-- back out and run...

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Exactly bail on this deal and get a different one. Warrenty or not, sure sounds like it will be a headache.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
I would call them and say no...then if they say no....tell your bank no

bhudson

Reaction score
I think if you haven't taken delivery and actually drove it off the lot, then back out of the deal and tell the dealership and your bank no and if you have to get a lawyer do it, but if I were you, I'd be running the other direction right now

Armybyrd

Reaction score
So I ended up finding another '08 ccsb xl. Love the truck so far but I have a few questions.
1. What's needed to add a key fob? I've seen ford ones on Amazon for like $7.
2. I bought some aftermarket headlights off of fleabay but it's snowing so I'll have to wait to install-will this be a direct swap or will I need a different pigtail?
3. In about a week I'll be towing my wife's suv across country and I need to pick up a hitch ball. Any recommendations? I'll be using a u haul trailer for this move if it makes a difference.

Latest posts

Members online