Time to replace battery cables.

kingbilly68

Reaction score
What do y’all use? Stay factory? Build your own? I’d like to upgrade to heavier duty terminals but I’m not sure where to look. Links would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
What do y’all use? Stay factory? Build your own? I’d like to upgrade to heavier duty terminals but I’m not sure where to look. Links would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Ford doesnt even offer them anymore. Same with the wiring harness. Gotta go aftermarket. Id go bigger diameter than factory though.

live life full throttle

kingbilly68

Reaction score
Ford doesnt even offer them anymore. Same with the wiring harness. Gotta go aftermarket. Id go bigger diameter than factory though.

live life full throttle

Yeah, I figured factory ford wasn’t really an option. Meant factory style aftermarket. I was definitely thinking heavier gauge though. Thanks for the advice though. I always trust your advice on these trucks.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I bought the entire cable for my super duty truck a few years ago. Cost me around $100 iirc. Much easier to just pull it out of the box and install than having to make something.

kingbilly68

Reaction score
That is a good kit and comes with everything!! Good find man!

live life full throttle

Ok... so it might not be my cables. I’m getting 14.4 -14.6 volts on both batteries when probing the cables. Driver side battery reads the same. Passenger side battery only reads 12.6. All measurements were taken at idle speed and didn’t change at 1200 rpm. I’ll try to clean the terminals tomorrow and see if that helps. Does it sound like the one battery is going bad? They are both less than a year old interstate 850 cranking amps.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ok... so it might not be my cables. I’m getting 14.4 -14.6 volts on both batteries when probing the cables. Driver side battery reads the same. Passenger side battery only reads 12.6. All measurements were taken at idle speed and didn’t change at 1200 rpm. I’ll try to clean the terminals tomorrow and see if that helps. Does it sound like the one battery is going bad? They are both less than a year old interstate 850 cranking amps.
Is the 12.6v from isolating each battery with the cables off?

live life full throttle

co04cobra

Reaction score

First off, PLEASE get rid of the interstate batteries when possible. Next, on the battery you are getting 12.6 on, try grounding your meter back to the block while probing that hot post.

kingbilly68

Reaction score
First off, PLEASE get rid of the interstate batteries when possible. Next, on the battery you are getting 12.6 on, try grounding your meter back to the block while probing that hot post.

The batteries are still under warranty. What brand do you recommend for next time? I’ll try grounding to the block tomorrow and see if it changes.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Interstate are the standard. So don’t get confused...

When talking about batteries, other people use Walmart brands with great success. Their reasoning with warranty and price is advantageous. Would I ever buy them? No, no sir I wouldn’t.

I have a set from sams club - buddy gave them to me. Duracell gel batteries. They were under warranty within just one year.

What batteries do I run? Only yellow top. You have interstate batteries - you good. Maybe one is weak. Maybe connections are chitty. You need to get the voltage with them disconnected. If they good and are both same voltage, it’s in your cables - perhaps deteriorating.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
Yellow top have been shti for ten years fyi.

Coo4cobra probably sorts through more batteries ina year at his shop than you'll ever own.

Im sure he'll be along to explain why the interstate batteries are turds.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Right...

As in you are right on interstate. They are a standard... Chit to me regardless. I don’t own too many interstates but they have bent better than other brands I’ve owned and I’ve own a lot of trucks. I don’t need to own a shop to know that for myself.

Yellow top for me only.

—————signature—————

Last edited:

kingbilly68

Reaction score
Got it figured out. Loose cable on passenger side. I feel pretty dumb... thanks for the help everyone.

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
You should have been around ten years ago. Youre so smart you could have taken 5 years of evolution out of this whole game for everyone.

Funny lots of good members quit posting bwfore you even signed up LOL

Right...

As in you are right on interstate. They are a standard... Chit to me regardless. I don’t own too many interstates but they have bent better than other brands I’ve owned and I’ve own a lot of trucks. I don’t need to own a shop to know that for myself.

Yellow top for me only.

—————signature—————

DieselDC

Reaction score
You should have been around ten years ago. Youre so smart you could have taken 5 years of evolution out of this whole game for everyone.

Funny lots of good members quit posting bwfore you even signed up LOL

on members quit posting and when I signed up lol. You’re almost comical. What you’re stating is irrelevant. Times change. People have differing experiences.

I know what you’re implying in your comments - that’s cool. Call me what ever you like. It still will not change the fact that prefere yellow top.

—————signature—————

Latest posts

Members online