Oil residue in intercooler piping

Texan6Seven

Reaction score
I’ve had the MPD budget 364.5 kit with full piping and CCV kit on my truck now for 100k miles. I did a boost leak test on the truck as it felt like it wasn’t running as well as it did when I initially installed the kit. Well, when I pulled the intake piping off the turbo inlet I found what I feel is more than usual oil residue on the turbo inlet. Anyhow, I did find a pinhole in the welding on the intake plenum where the two CNC parts are welded together. I pulled the cold side pipe off to get a good ground to TIG the pinhole up and also found oil residue in the intake plenum.

Where could I be getting oil residue from if all CC recirculation is bypassed?

Texan6Seven

Reaction score
While I had the intake piping off, I checked for shaft play on the impeller shaft and did not feel any. As far as turbo seals, what would cause those to fail (besides a dirty intake filter)? I ran the filter that came with the kit for about 50k miles. I then switched to the Donaldson B085011 filter for better filtration. Could that have had any negative effects?

SDER1

Reaction score
Sub'd ....would a ccv reroute result in potential turbo seal failure, or would other conditions lead up to this, such as what the OP suggested - dirty air filter?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Texan6Seven

Reaction score
I’ve been doing some research and I found a pretty informative video about the oiling system of turbos. In there it says that one contributing factor to finding oil in either the intake or exhaust side of your turbo is excessive engine blow by or, if you have a larger turbo (they specifically mention s300/s400 turbos) is that if your vehicle idles for extended periods of time, that the turbo shaft doesn’t spin fast enough to sling the oil out and away from the piston ring of the shaft. I believe that’s the issue I’m having.

Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/hGSoe-sZcXk

Latest posts

Members online