Regear 3.55 or 3.31

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I acquired this 05 and I'm thinking of regearing. I was planning on regearing the 7.3 but if we sell the 7.3 then it will be the 05 to be done. I see threads about going taller but I'm not towing and I'm not running big tires.

Does this thing produce enough torque to comfortably push 3.55 or 3.31's at 1800-2000 rpms/highway speeds? I know what is possible w/ the 7.3 but I'm new to the 6.0.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
What does it matter?

These replies have no relevance to whether or not the 6.0 will respond positively going from 3.73 to 3.55 or 3.31...

If I was asking "whats the best tuner?" or "what injector should I choose" I'd get a sh$t ton of use X brand, y brand, blah blah blah.

If you guys have no useful information why bother posting besides getting another post count? I mean really, there is nothing of substance in the previous postings. The "4x4" question is answered in my sig, not a jab but it is what it is and the others are completely irrelevant to the original question that I poised.

The lack of relevant information is, IMHO, one reason why the org and PSN went to sh$t and I'm seeing it more and more here. When I was on ford-diesel.com back in 99 it was a great informative place w/ plenty of ideas being thrown around but it too went down the drain.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
we have an 05 exc with 3:55's running mikes intake and gearheads srl tune. we also have an 05 exc with 3:73 and just an intake. the 3:55 one gets better mileage on the hwy and about the same in the city. on a full hwy run at about 75mph, we average 20 hand calc.
the 3:73 is definitely a better feel in the city and not so doggy off the line

Extended Power

Reaction score
Go buy a set of worn out 37" tall tires and see how you like it.
It would be easier to change the tires than the gearing.

I'd rather have better response than mileage any day of the week. (Less lag and smoke)

roachie

Reaction score
I have ran a 3.31 gear combo. But after that post I'll let you figure it out with your own money.

Jeremy

Reaction score
I put 3.55's in my 06. I didn't see much if any mileage gain, just alittle lower cruising rpm. I was going to go with 3.31's from the 2011 trucks but the rear diff is different(larger and longer pinion shaft) so that was a no go. Maybe there is an aftermarket set offered now? IDK, I did this in 2011.

Hope this helps.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
we have an 05 exc with 3:55's running mikes intake and gearheads srl tune. we also have an 05 exc with 3:73 and just an intake. the 3:55 one gets better mileage on the hwy and about the same in the city. on a full hwy run at about 75mph, we average 20 hand calc.
the 3:73 is definitely a better feel in the city and not so doggy off the line

Thanks Sootie, you answered the question I asked. In stock form it feels solid so I doubt I'll be to bothered by it being a bit slower. If I regear it can't be any slower than my stock 99.

Go buy a set of worn out 37" tall tires and see how you like it.
It would be easier to change the tires than the gearing.

I'd rather have better response than mileage any day of the week. (Less lag and smoke)

Not apples to apples as you probably know 37's have significantly more rotational mass. And FWIW, I had heavy a$$ procomp 35" XT's on my 2002 7.3 and I saw NO loss in mileage when I went from the tiny 31ish" factory to the 35's.

you mad brah? LOL

you're not going to pick up mileage with a regear

No Brah. WTF do the questions have to do w/ what I asked? I asked an extremely simply question and I get a bunch of rhetorical questions that have absolutely no benefit to my question or should someone else be curious of the same information, they too will have gained nothing in their search.

So tell me why I'll gain nothing in the regear? Dave W. on psn is geared below 3.08 in his 7.3 and he see's 24mpg. Smokin joe claimed in a thread he see's 22+ when he regeared to 3.31. So again, tell me why a regear will gain nothing?

I have ran a 3.31 gear combo. But after that post I'll let you figure it out with your own money.

Your contribution to my thread is infallable :thumbsup: The next guy who is curious of the same thing will be helped by your super duper mindnumbing post.

I put 3.55's in my 06. I didn't see much if any mileage gain, just alittle lower cruising rpm. I was going to go with 3.31's from the 2011 trucks but the rear diff is different(larger and longer pinion shaft) so that was a no go. Maybe there is an aftermarket set offered now? IDK, I did this in 2011.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jeremy, the 10.5" yoke can be swapped and the gear swap done from all the info I'm getting from Randys and from the local shop I'm using. The 7.3can handle the 3.31 swap so I'm hoping the VGT in the 6.0 should help make up for the CI difference.