Dana 60 rotors

Krause

Reaction score
No, the kingpin rotors where actually a bit smaller, not by much but a bit. I had this same problem and had to clearance the inside of the caliper a bit the make my original rotors work (had nice rotors so really wanted to re-use them..)

JSchuricht

Reaction score
The early ball joint D60 used the same smaller rotors as the kingpin. IIRC 94-95 was the changeover point.

Reaction score
Billy, you and I think alike. That is exactly what I did. Couldn't image all the trouble to swap the axle without the best brakes so I found 95-97 knuckles.

As far as this goes I can confirm it is correct: "The early ball joint D60 used the same smaller rotors as the kingpin. IIRC 94-95 was the changeover point."

The change over was 95.

jstann

Reaction score
well ill be on the hunt for newer knuckles

how much smaller are they ? could i turn them down on a lathe ?

JSchuricht

Reaction score
There wasn't much difference in size, about 1/2" but the width is a bit different too. I screwed up with my swap, didn't know about the two types being offered so I stuck with the pin on calipers after looking at prices for knuckles.

Krause

Reaction score
Yea you cant put balljoint knuckles on a kingpin axle. You'll have to just be happy with what the kingpin does well and bite the bullet with brakes a bit.

The size difference isnt a full 1/2 I dont think, i mentioned I was able to clearance my Caliper in order to allow the larger style rotor in it. I think the rotor height difference was like a heavy 1/8 inch, 3/16 maybe total, so as a radius I remember having to trim about 1/16 off the inside of the caliper. That was just my experience, probly would have been a better idea to turn the rotor down a bit.

JSchuricht

Reaction score
94 and older rotors are 12.56" diameter, 1.25" thick, 1.18" throw away thick

95-97 rotors are 13" diameter, 1.25" thick, 1.18" throw away thick

King pin axles have a removable caliper bracket for slide pin calipers. There are some aftermarket ones that use bolt on calipers, most of them use a single piston Chevy caliper. There may be some out there that actually upgrade the system. If not, the brackets are simple so you could build your own to use something larger.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I have a king pin axle

You are going to have to cut off and replace the in inner C's if you want to switch to a ball-joint knuckle.

Run the axle the way it us. Having kingpins far exceeds the downfall of a slightly smaller brake rotor.

jstann

Reaction score
I don't want a ball joint knuckle I just took one out to put the king pin on in I want the bolt on caliper king pin

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.