Custom inverter installs?

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I had an inverter mounted to the back wall of my cab and ran a cord from 2 of the plugs on it up to my center console. Don't have any pics butit will be hard to mount a inverter in your console unless it is a small one.

Tom S

Reaction score
I would also consider that the location you pick has enough airflow for cooling. I have had an inverter in the console before and it got toasty. One of my buddies has his truck set up with an onboard inverter. Was so cool that it is now on my to do list.

evo45

Reaction score
I have been wanting to do this on my truck but havent found an inverter that I liked yet. I did hard wire an inverter up in my wife's Honda Fit under the passanger seat so she can charge her computer while on the road and it works great. She was having problems with it not charging when it was idling and plugged into the cigarette plug but now it has no trouble charging.

I would be interested in seeing where someone mounts an inverter in an ex cab truck with a stereo under the back seat. I dont have any more room under there for anything else.

JCart

Reaction score
Just doing one now 1500 watt twin internal fans not sure what the other spec are....
Have put small extensions on the center console (actually replaced the metric studs) with 5/16 grade 8 bolts and trimmed nut extenders. Mounted the inverter to seat frame under console. Power switch and dual plugs on front face just under front edge of c console. Have power distribution at rear seat passenger side for positive feed with maxi blade fuse. Not sure if I need to hook the ground directly to - post battery or just ground to floor, was actually thinkin of using rear seat frame stud?

I'll put up some pix when done.

jrc

Last edited:

JCart

Reaction score
Pix of inverter install

Power distribution inside passenger rear door under rear seat. Large power cable from starter to D block with Maxi fuses then continues to rear bumper.

2224686470055497311S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Removed metric Center Console seat studs and replaced with grade 8 5/16 bolts and nut extenders to raise console.

2156661630055497311S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2031782280055497311S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2293174400055497311S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

:D

Last edited:

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
The most important thing is getting the size inverter for your needs...but make sure you only use around 60% of it's total power...you don't want to run it at it's peak capacity.

The second most import thing is THE WIRING...if you try and scrimp to save money on small/inferior wiring....call your insurance company, and upgrade your coverage...because your truck will become a very expensive bonfire.

Power Inverters and Accessories by Cobra, Xantrex, Wagan, Magnum Energy, PowerBright, Samlex, Voltec, Whistler and Goal Zero - DonRowe.com - Index

^^^^ has all the info you'll need to correctly choose the size inverter for your application, and the info on the correct size wire to use....as well as ...they sell you an inverter...LOL

I run a 10,000 watt inverter in my truck,...I have 2 welding cables for power, and 2 welding cables for ground...

My daughter is my electrician...LOL

InverterandAirCompressorjuly20089.jpg

InverterandAirCompressorjuly200815.jpg

Like I said, that link will give you all the info you'll ever need on inverters...

You have to decide what you'll be powering to see what size inverter is adequate...

To figure out what you need, use this equation....AMPS X 120(AC volts)

A Circular saw...15 amps x 120 = 1800 watts...BUT!!!...you also need to take into consideration of "start-up load"...which is generally double the needed wattage.

So a simple 15amp circular saw, to run properly(not eventually burn out the motor), needs an inverter with at least 3,600 watts of power...BUT!!!...as I mentioned earlier...you never want to run the inverter at it's max capacity...

15amps x 120 = 1,800watts x 2 (start-up) = 3,600watts....I would recommend a 5,000watt inverter.

OK...now wiring(though it is in the link)...1,500watt inverter.

3-6ft run = 1 gauge
6-10ft run = 3/0

I run a 10,000 watt inverter,...simply because I don't want to sit and do equations every time I want to power something....LOL...GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Besides...the inverter I got only cost about $450...so it was a "no brainer" for me

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
When I go camping i have everything I need...and everything everyone else needs too..

My truck is the only one that can make it to the campsite.
I can blow up inflatable rafts for the kids to play on the river (air compressor)
I can blow up everyones air mattresses
Wife can have coffee in the morning (coffee maker)
Everyones phone stays charged(wall chargers)
I can quitely cut up logs for a fire(electric chain saw)
Women can blow dry thier hair(blower dryer)

...in most cases..if someone needs it...i have it...

Latest posts

Members online