Instant crank uphill

Reaction score
As title states, my truck instantly cold cranks when parked facing up hill. I bought this truck a little over a year ago, and have had what I call a long crank when cold (summer or winter) @ about 3-5 seconds, usually about after at least 4hrs since it's been running. When hot or warm, it instantly cranks. Well this past week I randomly parked the truck in a different spot trying to keep out of way of our other vehicles and out from under all the trees currently dropping all their leaves, and it was facing up hill (picture to follow). Next morning with Temps in the 40s, she cranked instantly. So through out the week I decided to park flat, and facing down hill as well. To my little tests conclusion, (outside temp has zero effect) it starts 3-5 seconds when flat or facing downhill, and starts instantly when facing up hill. Again, this is sitting over night tests, warm starts are always instant. I've tried google, and searched here, lots of people with same exact scenario, but nobody ever really posts what fixed it. Any ideas?
c6dfd253ecdb2c8a02daa0111709e9a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
And for clarification, it starts instantly, not cranks.. Right

Zmann

Reaction score
my starts faster nose down when it's cold out

know because my driveway is angled up most days i park nose high
but i can tell a difference when nose down

webb06

Reaction score
Kind of same scenario but also opposite, we had a customers 04 6.0 truck that when parked nose up would start then die and do that 3-4 times then stay running. Truck would have to sit at least 8-12 hours before it would act up again. Parked nose down and it would be fine on first start of the day. Ended up finding the hpop was leaking out the rear seal bad enough that it was draining the hpop reservoir. Replaced hpop and it's been fine since.

Yours is pretty much opposite of this but might help someone one day with similar issues.

Is your oil filter canister staying full when parked nose down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Taylor OBS

Reaction score
So I don’t mean to hi jack this thread but I am having a similar issues. 05 excursion 156k. Long crank after sitting hot or cold. When I check the oil filter housing it’s empty. I thought it was the anti drain back. I put a new one in and same issue. I also double checked for an oem filter and cap. When it does start it sputters to life. I am just curious what else in the housing could let the oil drain back. It does start normal when parked facing downhill. If I manually fill the housing with oil and screw the cap on quickly it starts normal. Any thoughts??

Reaction score
Completely forgot I started this thread, mine still starts almost instantly (even when really cold in the mornings and ive cycled GP's) when parked facing up hill, but will take a couple (not over 2 mississippi) seconds most other cold cranks if not facing up hill, cold also applies to 2 or more hours of not being ran

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online