Excessive drone after Single S300 Install

Strokersace

Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy, but on our two 6.4s, I removed the 4” mufflered systems in favor of a 5" with the same Donaldson muffler Mike is using because that setup is MUCH quieter and no drone!

On the one truck, the 4" flopro with muffler was bearable but still too loud. The other truck was a 4" flopro straight pipe. The drone was horrible with this setup.

Both trucks have a 4" 2 piece down pipe and the 5" on back with the big Donaldson muffler. Quiet, no drone, but still sounds aggressive when you want it to.

I've contemplated adding a resonator to get it whisper quiet, but haven't felt the need to yet.

Both trucks are cclb's.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I had an initial exhaust whistle I didnt care for with the FTE, then I added that donaldson, and it amplified the whistle, and drone was still prominent. Now the ONLY thing I have is that 5" muffler. Truck is quiet inside and out. No obnoxious sounds, no drone. Closest thing to stock I have ever used. I have had it on for about a year now. Aside from single shots, the truck is nearly stock sounding from in the cab.

Justinlw

Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy, but on our two 6.4s, I removed the 4” mufflered systems in favor of a 5" with the same Donaldson muffler Mike is using because that setup is MUCH quieter and no drone!

On the one truck, the 4" flopro with muffler was bearable but still too loud. The other truck was a 4" flopro straight pipe. The drone was horrible with this setup.

Both trucks have a 4" 2 piece down pipe and the 5" on back with the big Donaldson muffler. Quiet, no drone, but still sounds aggressive when you want it to.

I've contemplated adding a resonator to get it whisper quiet, but haven't felt the need to yet.

Both trucks are cclb's.

Just saw your reply. I’m looking up the 5” Donaldson now, hopefully that will kill the noise in the cab. I don’t feel the need to completely kill the exterior noise, but I will be a little quieter than you with the 4” Cat installed. Hopefully I can get the new muffler on next weekend and be ready for summer trips.

If it takes stepping up to 5”, I would have to do it after the cat. I’m not spending another $350 for a 5” cat. I tow a camper with the truck and my Dad has emphysema. Swears he can smell the exhaust in the camper when we get to deer camp. The Magnaflow cat kills the smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
I had the the MBRP 4" system with their muffler and our SX-E 64mm single kit on mine. I didn't mind it at all, was very quiet in the cab......

Justinlw

Reaction score
I had the the MBRP 4" system with their muffler and our SX-E 64mm single kit on mine. I didn't mind it at all, was very quiet in the cab......

I ordered the mbrp 4” with muffler this weekend, hoping that one does it. The kit that’s on now is pretty thin, and the hangers aren’t really “hanging” like they should. May be contributing to the drone.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ok, stupid question here, but just ran into it today on a customers truck. He had excessive "drone" which was a lower pitched buzzing noise. He showed it to me, and turned out it was the vacuum pump running, which inside did kinda drone. It was a quieter type deal though, could only hear it with the radio off.

It aint something like that, is it?

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
I ordered the mbrp 4” with muffler this weekend, hoping that one does it. The kit that’s on now is pretty thin, and the hangers aren’t really “hanging” like they should. May be contributing to the drone.

I've found that not enough, or poor hangers can contribute to that......

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I added the factory vibration dampener back to get rid of my drone.

What is that part.

PjJ1E.jpg

Jsexton

Reaction score
Thanks... man Did you find a place on your exhaust that work better than others for placement.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
I had a truck drone kinda bad as well.

It turns out the muffler I had, if turned around, fixed it.

I had a AFE 4" turbo back exhaust on my 7.3. When you looked through the muffler, it was a straight through muffler, but it looked like a "cheese grater" on the inside.

When installed so the exhaust blew over the nubs and was a straight through design, it droned horrible.

But if you flip it around so the exhaust catches those nubs, like your grating cheese, I didn't lose any exhaust sound level/volume, but the drone disappeared.

This was both with a standard out the back exhaust, and with a 8" single stack in the bed where any and all drone was very noticeable.

Don't know what style muffler internals you guys' mufflers have, but might be worth a look. Might be a free fix.

Justinlw

Reaction score
I had a truck drone kinda bad as well.

It turns out the muffler I had, if turned around, fixed it.

I had a AFE 4" turbo back exhaust on my 7.3. When you looked through the muffler, it was a straight through muffler, but it looked like a "cheese grater" on the inside.

When installed so the exhaust blew over the nubs and was a straight through design, it droned horrible.

But if you flip it around so the exhaust catches those nubs, like your grating cheese, I didn't lose any exhaust sound level/volume, but the drone disappeared.

This was both with a standard out the back exhaust, and with a 8" single stack in the bed where any and all drone was very noticeable.

Don't know what style muffler internals you guys' mufflers have, but might be worth a look. Might be a free fix.

I’m not running a directional muffler, but I know exactly what you’re talking about.

Justinlw

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Justin and I’ve been drone free for about 2 weeks now.

Spent some time under the truck and changed things around. Removed the Cat and moved the 30” FTE up to the first hanger, no difference. Installed Banks Monster Muffler in “stock location”, moved the drone down in the rpm range.

I ended up with the FTE 30” as described above, and replaced the banks with a Magnaflow 7”x36” muffler. All I hear now in the cab is the injectors.

I have a Banks Monster Muffler and FTE 17” available if anyone needs them.

Latest posts

Members online