PCM, it's my turn

MeTo

Reaction score
It started with intermittent loss of power to the Hydra, no LEDs on the display. The truck runs fine. I tried tinning the contacts, then I tried removing the solder down to the copper, per Corey's recommendation. Notta! So, would anyone know which PCM (ALF6) contacts carry the positive and negative power? I want to validate that power is actually at the contacts?

If it does turn out to be a contact issue, I vehemently doubt that? I'm seriously thinking about soldering the Hydra to the PCM.

I'm also going to TRY giving PHP a call. Maybe they will declassify which contacts on the Hydra handle the power?

Would anyone have a recommendation for PCM repair? I would prefer getting my PCM repaired, versus buying a used PCM.

MeTo

Reaction score
Jay mentioned he could test the PCM, but PHP will not repair PCMs due to liability issues. I also called two vehicle computer repair services (interweb) and both do not work on OBS PCMs, only 1999 and newer. So, I emailed Corey and he recommended Swamps too. Monday it will go to Swamps.

I did see some PCMs (no ALF6s) on Ebay, but they were all more expensive than what Swamps wants to rebuild PCMs. I would rather have mine rebuilt, than buy a used unit and not know how long it will last?

Thanks mandkole.

MeTo

Reaction score
Jonathan emailed today, that is damn fast. The PCM is good. I now need to send him my Hydra and ribbon cable. I tested the cable, it's fine. He is going to test why it's not powering up? His Hydra works fine. My Hydra is two months out of warranty, but has been having issues since it was new. How is this going to play out??? Never had an issue with my TS6.

79jasper

Reaction score
I guess I'm blind and haven't seen those "issues."
I did have to have my pcm contacts retinned once. (Done by php, did they stop that service?)
Other than that, no issues.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Other than initial problems with dead chips I haven’t heard anything bad about them.

MeTo

Reaction score
I talked to Jay, asked if he would tell me which contacts on the PCM provide the 5 volts to the Hydra. NO, it's proprietary! Thanks, I'm sure someone can reverse engineer the Hydra from that bit of info. Jay also told me that they can test PCMs, but they will not repair them due to liability issues.

My Hydra would not light up when connected to the PCM. It would light up when connected to my laptop via the USB cable. So I talked to Jon (Swamps guru). The PCM was fine. The Hydra had an issue with the D2 diode that the input 5v power goes through to protect the Hydra from reverse polarity and the C2 1.5 microfarad capacitor which smooths out ripples and spikes (voltage regulator) in the input voltage. $50 + shipping and it's running again.

Latest posts

Members online