Tools needed to change heater block cord?

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Seeing if anyone could give me a heads up on what tools I need to change this out. I bought the cord and the element today. It will be -10 tomorow morning while trying to do this in my driveway on gravel, if I can have the tools ready my frozen hands will appreciate it. It’s a 2004 6.0 BTW.

The cord broke 2 days ago. I didn’t have it plugged in last 2 days it’s been cold here about 5-10 degrees. First day fired right up. 2nd day which was today she cranked and cranked but eventually killed the brand new batteries and won’t start. Could the fuel be gelled I didn’t have any additive in it. Today I bought some 911 and put it in the tank. I called a tow service to help me get it in the garage where I have heat. He said his owner wouldn’t let him. It’s been a ****ty cold day....we tried jumping it and using a big jump box. No go. Any advice will be greatly appreciated guys.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Literally zero tools. Changed mine and the cord just has a metal clip tat has to be pulled off. So maybe a small pry bar.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
This can be done with my fingers? Lol seriously? The cord and the actual element that goes into the block.

dsberman94

Reaction score
The element is just a wrench. Sorry I don’t remember the side but your new one will be the same size so you know what to bring with you. Cord is fingers or small prybar. And you’re going to take a coolant bath so be quick.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
The element is just a wrench. Sorry I don’t remember the side but your new one will be the same size so you know what to bring with you. Cord is fingers or small prybar. And you’re going to take a coolant bath so be quick.

Is the pry bar just to get cord from the back to the front? I’m confused as to why I will take a coolant bath? I assumed this element just seals into the block which obviously just heats it.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I have no idea what that idiot said either..

Passenger side atop starter. Metal clip, pull it off, chances are new cord has a serrated nut that will thread onto the element

turboTwang6

Reaction score
Whats the reason for replacing the heating element? Just do the cord so you have a block heater for this winter. Save changing the element for when its warm out. That ice cold coolant running all over your hands is not going to be a fun time.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I am doing the cord, which plugs into the block. It was $25 at O Reilly’s. I thought the rubber looking orange thing at the end of the cord that plugs into block is the element? I must be confused.

turboTwang6

Reaction score
I am doing the cord, which plugs into the block. It was $25 at O Reilly’s. I thought the rubber looking orange thing at the end of the cord that plugs into block is the element? I must be confused.

Ah. Nope, that orange part just plugs onto the two pins on the actual element that is threaded into the block. Then the serrated nut threads on to hold the connections solid. Probably all you need is a pair of channel locks to grab onto the serrated nut. See pics below. I guess some of them might be an actual hex nut, i know on my 06 it was a knurled (serrated) nut.

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mfcUTmTRn6CkDhoSy5X-rwQ.jpg

http://katsblockheater.com/images/store/product/Ford-6.0-Powerstroke-Block-Heater.jpg

Latest posts

Members online