Waste gate and blow off valve not working together

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am in need of some help, I am looking at buying a 2008 f350 that has had some work done. I took it for a ride today and from what I could tell the waste gate and blow off valve are not working right or in tune. if you are in between easy and full throttle you can hear one of the two letting off pressure but if your into it neither activates till letting off. If i get into it like half throttle it would buck like it would get into the power then dump so lose power right on a shift and you get the idea. But if i was easy on it or laid into it, the thing felt great through and through, power and shifting wise. So I am unsure of how to tackle this problem if I buy the truck. I figured the blow off valve was overkill so I would shut it down and try and tune the waste gate in and see how it does there. Any input or thoughts on this would be much appreciate.

List of mods include:
egr delete with wastegate setup and manual pressure regulator
bd turbo guard blow off valve on intake side of intercooler
arp's
spartan dashdaq running 310 tune i think it is
4in dp to 5 in exhaust
cfm elbow
cai

Cory S

Reaction score
I would just take the blow off valve off of the truck and tune the wastegate. And you would be good to go

Sent from my Motorola razr (flip phone)

Erikclaw

Reaction score
The two don't work together. Blow off valve does what you said, releases pressure when you get out of the throttle fast. i have one but it started blowing off boost so I shimmed it and now it does nothing. Waste gate blows off pressure to keep back pressure at a safe level. You can still acccellerate and hear boost blowing off? Mine did that but would barely move. Bucking may be tune related, I would cap the bov and work on the wg, it is more important.

White_monster

Reaction score
What brand wastegate kit? If its an Elite Diesel kit you will never here the wastegate open but if it's a Wide Open Performance kid you'll hear when it opens. Like said, cap the blow off valve and get the gate working then dial the bov in once the gates setup. Have fun.

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
I would just take the blow off valve off of the truck and tune the wastegate. And you would be good to go

Sent from my Motorola razr (flip phone)

That was my plan but i figured it couldn't hurt to get an opinion

The two don't work together. Blow off valve does what you said, releases pressure when you get out of the throttle fast. i have one but it started blowing off boost so I shimmed it and now it does nothing. Waste gate blows off pressure to keep back pressure at a safe level. You can still acccellerate and hear boost blowing off? Mine did that but would barely move. Bucking may be tune related, I would cap the bov and work on the wg, it is more important.

Maybe i miss-worded but i meant they weren't working properly.

What brand wastegate kit? If its an Elite Diesel kit you will never here the wastegate open but if it's a Wide Open Performance kid you'll hear when it opens. Like said, cap the blow off valve and get the gate working then dial the bov in once the gates setup. Have fun.

Not sure about the brand, the wastegate has a downpipe for itself, it appeared to be a piece of one inch steel pipe that goes down the back side of the motor on the drivers side. Looking at the website it doesn't appear to be an EDE wastegate kit, heres a picture of the wastegate on the truck.

058.jpg

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Synops(sp?) gate. Remove and replace with a Tial-MVR or a Turbosmart gate. Setup spring pack. Set the reg. Be mucho happy!

Those gates, the one you have, are a nightmare.

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
After reading about how a gate works that doesnt make much sense to me either, it appears that closing and opening are both controlled by the same regulator?

Johnny77Mutt

Reaction score
I should have said non-regulated. Have a line come off the boost source into a T fitting. Then off of that have the non regulated go to the bottom of the wastegate, then off the other side of the T to the regulator, then to the top of the wastegate. Search the thread "Wastegate 101", there's a diagram.

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
I should have said non-regulated. Have a line come off the boost source into a T fitting. Then off of that have the non regulated go to the bottom of the wastegate, then off the other side of the T to the regulator, then to the top of the wastegate. Search the thread "Wastegate 101", there's a diagram.

Thank you! Ill check that out

Latest posts

Members online