01 7.3 No Boost

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Starting a new thread here from IDM,PCM no start. So I finally got my truck back on Friday. The mechanic fixed my no start issue just as I asked him to. So I get in and take off and No Turbo Boost. I had installed a new turbo from KC Turbo(stage 1 with 66/88 stock exhaust housing) and new bellowed upipies. I haven’t had it running yet till Friday to see how it does. I’ve taken all the intercooler boots off and took off boots at the plentums. Also took vband off in the front and at the rear where the pipes go. Downpipe looked good so I left it connected. Tightened everything back up. Still no Boost. Everything is hooked up except”I have no vacuum reservoir”!!! When I changed out the upipies I removed both inner fender liners. The reservoir is bolted to that. I had it towed to the shop without putting the inner fenders back on so I’ve lost the reservoir. My question is,”would this cause no Boost?” EGTs are cool, no smoke,I can hear the Turbo whine a lil. I wanted to know for sure about this before I get someone to work on it. I ain’t ever fooling with those upipies again. Thanks for all you guys help on my other issues and hopefully I can get this resolved fairly easy.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Cool EGTs, no smoke, AND no boost? Those three things don't go together. Is your boost gauge hooked up and no kicks in the line?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Yes it’s all hooked up. I wonder if the wastegate is adjusted wide open? All I did was take it out of the box and install it. No instructions

PDT1081

Reaction score
Yes it’s all hooked up. I wonder if the wastegate is adjusted wide open? All I did was take it out of the box and install it. No instructions

If you have no boost, you should have smoke, and it will be a gutless pig that can't get out of it's own way. I'd trace the line for your boost gauge to make sure it's not kinked.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Yep no power at all. I’m going to take the tee out and couple it together eliminating the gauge and see if that is the problem.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Everything is plugged in except the 2 lines at the vacuum accumulator,reservoir.... I’ll have to call ford tomorrow and order that.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Is your boost gauge mechanical or electronic?

Can you double check it by reading the map through the obd2 port with torque pro or autoenginuity?

PDT1081

Reaction score
Yep no power at all. I’m going to take the tee out and couple it together eliminating the gauge and see if that is the problem.

From your posts, it sounded like it was running fine, just not showing boost. Even with the waste gate hung open, you should still be able to build some boost with a stock housing.

Are you running a boost fooler? What are you using for tuning?

79jasper

Reaction score
I don't see a 66/88 turbo on their site. They have a 66/93?
Was it the DIY kit?
If I'm understanding the Wastegate operation right, having the line unhooked will net more boost. (I think)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Sorry guys been a little busy! It’s mechanical,isspro.
As far as the turbo it’s their drop in stage 1. I was thinking it’s the same as a 38r with .84 exhaust instead of the 1.0. I haven’t had a chance to mess with it today but this evening I’m going to take the line loose at the tee and eliminate it,and adjust the wastegate to see if it’s all the way open. That would cause it to not build up boost. And wouldn’t that also be low egt’s? No power of course.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
From your posts, it sounded like it was running fine, just not showing boost. Even with the waste gate hung open, you should still be able to build some boost with a stock housing.

Are you running a boost fooler? What are you using for tuning?

My truck is not running good. No power,no boost! I’m not running a programmer or a chip. Haven’t ever needed one. No boost fooler either.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
As far as the turbo it’s their drop in stage 1. I was thinking it’s the same as a 38r with .84 exhaust instead of the 1.0. I haven’t had a chance to mess with it today but this evening I’m going to take the line loose at the tee and eliminate it,and adjust the wastegate to see if it’s all the way open. That would cause it to not build up boost. And wouldn’t that also be low egt’s? No power of course.
If you have no boost, the truck will be fueling extremely hard to build enough boost for the pcm to be happy. It would be extremely Smokey, egt s would be very hot, and it wouldn't get out of its own way. Sounds like you have one of those symptoms. I would check fuel pressure...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I’m finally able to work on it a little more tonight. I think the y collector where it bolts up to the turbo is off at thev band. I’m going to break the bolts loose at the manifolds and take the vband loose and reconnect it. I still dont have a vacuum accumulator and I I don’t know if this effects turbo issues. I’m assuming not but tomorrow I’m going to call and order one. Fuel pressure is fine at 62lbs, and egts while driving are at 500. No black smoke and Zero lbs of boost.

Arisley

Reaction score
No the vacuum bottle is net even attached to the motor. Diesels neither make or use vacuum. The little vacuum pump fills it up.

DieselDC

Reaction score
This is funky! You have the right recipe - in all impossibly; YOU MUST HAVE BOOST. I can’t seem to wrap my head around the fact that you have ignition and no boost! If she runs, even a run down pos about to be blow up 38r will produce some boost!

Guessing begins.... you have a massive boost leak... turbo to the spider - is there an o ring in there? My mechanic didn’t install one - cool right? Intercooler pipe fittings loose?

The other I’m thinking is your turbo. Take the intake off and PHYSICALLY and See for yourself if the wheel is spinning??? If she spins freely (engine on) - she has to produce boost. Everything after it, will be an issue.

“Don’t overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..”

79jasper

Reaction score
Still hasn't once answered the 10 billion time asked question "how are you reading boost."

Arisley

Reaction score

Still hasn't once answered the 10 billion time asked question "how are you reading boost."

Yes he did. It's a mechanical ISSPRO. Now where it is attached is a different question. If it is attached to the missing vacuum canister, we have found the issue.

Latest posts

Members online