LPOP exploded, anyone see this happen before?

DZL JIM

Reaction score
7.3_exp_LPOP.jpg

Anyone ever have this happen or see it happen before?

I'm trying to figure out why so it doesn't happen again.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Nope can’t say that I have. Looks dry or is that brake cleaner you used on it? Riffraff would be a good new replacement.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
What front damper did you have on it? Any noticable vibration prior?

DZL JIM

Reaction score
No brake cleaner, I took the dampner off and took the pic. The front of the pump housing was stuck to the dampner via the front main seal.

Stock front dampner, I can't say that I felt anything, it ran fine.

EDIT: It's dry because it exploded at 4500 rpm and 140 mph...all the oil blew out.

DieselDC

Reaction score
No brake cleaner, I took the dampner off and took the pic. The front of the pump housing was stuck to the dampner via the front main seal.

Stock front dampner, I can't say that I felt anything, it ran fine.

EDIT: It's dry because it exploded at 4500 rpm and 140 mph...all the oil blew out.

What were you doing at 140mph?

Is this a built motor? 4500rpm is crazy high. Even at the speed something isn’t right though.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

MeTo

Reaction score
The site states "it's currently in redesign". You might want to look into that?

I had a screen come loose (no filter) in the pickup on a 1966 Ducati 350 Desmo. It wasn't blocking anything.

psduser1

Reaction score
7.3_exp_LPOP.jpg

Anyone ever have this happen or see it happen before?

I'm trying to figure out why so it doesn't happen again.
How many passes?
Oil temps?
I've never seen that on a 7.3, lol, but sbc can do it, at high rpms. Might need an aftermarket dampened, or possibly a different balance procedure?
Sucks to see this! Did you get the last issue figured out, at least?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ive seen this quite a few times on 6.0s. Typically had something run thru it, like a lifter bearing.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
How many passes?
Oil temps?
I've never seen that on a 7.3, lol, but sbc can do it, at high rpms. Might need an aftermarket dampened, or possibly a different balance procedure?
Sucks to see this! Did you get the last issue figured out, at least?

Oil temps are always fine, around 140 or so.
No play in crank that I can tell, but will be looking into that.
I added a trap door in the pan, which helped but didn't fix the problem. So now I need to re-design the whole oiling system so I don't have to keep worrying about this stuff.

I've seen this quite a few times on 6.0s. Typically had something run thru it, like a lifter bearing.
Yeah, we've seen that too, and consensus seems to be that it just doesn't happen with the 7.3. I was mostly looking to hear how common (or not) this is with the 7.3. Since it's never happened to anyone, ever, with a 7.3, it's most likely self inflicted damage, and I am not leaning towards a quality issue with the pump itself.

m j

Reaction score
that is a head scratcher. if the outer ring was pushed apart you would just say FOD but the inner being knocked apart outward like that you have to wonder.

you will know better the next time it fails :)

bluedge8

Reaction score
did you oil the rear wheels? glad you are ok. I assume you have to tear the motor down to rule out anything broken?

Zeb

Reaction score
High rpm and high hp will do the same thing on a 6.0. The inner gear fails first and takes out the outer gear.
So few people turn the rpm that you are with a 7.3 is why this isn’t seen more often on a 7.3.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
...you will know better the next time it fails :)

There won't be a next time, I'm working on a dry sump system so there won't be any oem style oil pump to come apart again.

did you oil the rear wheels? glad you are ok. I assume you have to tear the motor down to rule out anything broken?

It oiled everything. You can see oil spray on the body from the tires throwing it off. But the car stopped fine luckily. Yes, tearing engine down for inspection, whenever I get a chance. I got it fired up on HPOil alone for diagnostics, and it runs fine, I'm just concerned about the bearings and where the missing chunk of pump went.

Could there be cavitation at that rpm? Don't know a lot of people running 4500rpm. 4200 yeah, but not 4500.

It's possible as not too many people have info here.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
High rpm and high hp will do the same thing on a 6.0. The inner gear fails first and takes out the outer gear.
So few people turn the rpm that you are with a 7.3 is why this isn’t seen more often on a 7.3.

Funny thing, I started racing this car with a 100k mile bone stock engine (but for head studs and 910 springs) that saw many, many more passes than this engine with the new, latest and greatest pump, and that LPOP never failed. That engine saw 4200 rpm each pass, but without a recall tach or data-logging back then, it could have been higher.