white smoke no power

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Ok so I had started a thread about my icp It was bad info& with it being labled as an icp thread noone would see the real problem more thsn likely so I decided to start this thread.So heres the deal 99.5 7.3 cc lb 4x4 dually bought in aug & its been a headache.Fp went out replaced &did tank mods kept blowing maxi fuse for fuel pump.Found a shorted wire.Now it has no power &@idle if you hit the fuel it will sound as it should then makes a weak sound bogs down&blows white smoke.
I flipped oil cap upside down dosnt blow it off.A little white.smoke comes out of it but not much.Idk read it.could be mat sensor,injector.o.rings,cup,or injectors or poor compression.I hope to hell its not a compression issue.But Ive dealt with poor comp before & this.feels diffrent to me.But noway to tell till I run a comp test.So what do you fellas think?We ran a buzz test on injectors&all went well.How else do I check the injectors?I was told where to hook up a gauge to check fuel pressure in my fuse post but Im not sure exactly what to buy gauge wise or where seeings it seem I have to piece together everything to check fuel pressure & compression.Also I noticed no strong smell of fuel in exhaust.I tryd to check hpop but allen head was strpped out.So troublshooting tips&Ideas would be appreciated.Sure Im getting annoying sorry

mandkole

Reaction score
check fuel pressure first, then the scanner stuff like ICP, DC%, etc.... ive seen idle smoke just like that with little to no fuel pressure. It still seems like theres a fuel system issue-- is the drain valve still spitting when the motor is off?

This will get you started and you could simply add a piece of longer push on hose and a couple of fittings if you wanted to drive it a little with the hood down. you could also use the same gauge to test lube oil pressure.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html

Dont go jumping to too many conclusions... ya gotta start playing with it, check the easy things first.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
No.I notice after it sits it comes out just as if you open up a petcock on a bike.Ill brb someones blowing me up.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Thanks so.If I have this right I can take that gauge & simply.hooknit.to where the hose on fuel bowl is to check fuel.pressure?How do I check.comoression?Also if the oil.cap after I flip it upside down dosnt blow off its a good sign right? But what does that tell us?Also the light amountnof white smoke out of same hole.What does it mean?

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Ok so code reader was able to pull same codesbas before ebps so I unplugged it from the turbo now it has power.But when I unplugged from tube earlier that didnt matter.Anyways theres still smoke but its pitch black put So I couldnt tell how bad it was.

mandkole

Reaction score
what were the codes? be sure to clear them and we'll see what comes back on next start up. You need to find someone with AE or a scanner to monitor some engine activity.

if the motor power has come back with disable of EBPV, get the motor good and hot. Does the white smoke go away when the motor gets hot? What are the temperatures when you cold start? Could just be tired glow plugs if the smoke goes away when the motor warms.

Thread pressure gauge into the port location where you check fuel pressure. Likely pipe thread. Key the pump and it should immediately register on gauge. Start it and see if it changes-- you could also hang the gauge out from the hood and try to drive it a little. White smoke is fuel or coolant --but lets not go to compression yet. Compression testing requires another gauge set (that specific to the PSD glow plug hole), but your haze from the oil fill is normal if theres no significant pressure.

Please keep track of what youve checked and the results. You're going to be doing this for a little while. good luck

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Ok so I was wrong theres n9.diffrence with it unplugged.Smoke.never goes away.Power is still not there.When I take off its real sloe then around 20mph more smoke comes out & it takes forever to get into 2nd after staying in 1st for what seems forever I hit 2nd & stay steady @ around 30 same thing happens finally I hit 3rd&it starts to pick up speed very irreguklar though.The waitng to shift is just due to the speed not getting me its not a slip.The code was just for ebps.

Arisley

Reaction score
Sounds like it might be a turbo issue.

Yes, low blow by is a great sign. It means if there is a compression issue, it is probably not rings.

The entire issue could be from a rocker arm off. Might want to pull the valve covers and check them out. The valve cover gaskets are reusable. Mine have been off multiple times, still working fine.

mandkole

Reaction score
have you checked fuel pressure? is it losing coolant by chance? Have you had to add any?

It takes some time to get the VCs off the first time so you should do a handful of checks when you get them off. You can run the motor with the VCs off, so in addition to what Arisley said, do the following;

-while running unplug each injector, one at a time, and check to see if the smoke goes away. If it suddenly goes away, note which injector was unplugged. You will need to look at that cylinder/injector more.

Be careful when unplugging injectors to avoid breaking the small harness plugs and especially when the truck is running-- theres 115V going through them.

Shoot video of it idling if you can..

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
No I havent been able to get 2 the bank 2 order all of the stuff I need to check.the fuel.pressure.Im.notn loosing any cooliant.The smoke only comes once I push.down on the fuel.it revs then@ a certain point the smokes start & it happens while driving.Im.leaning.towards a shot turbo for a few reason.now that the seed has been planted.1st is when I first had smoke.I was driving down the rd about 30-40 & heard almost a pop but diffrent then a surge then the smoke.It was only my 3rd time driving it but Ive never heard the turbo whistle so I was wondering if it wasnt working.Also after andy suggested it may be the turbo I got on google & found a video on youtube of a fella with a white sd that had a bad turbo & it was blowing white smoke & it sounds dead nuts on to how my rig sounds & it kicks the smoke out @ same time & rate.Yes I will take a vid & maybe you fellas can compare to the video I speak of.Ill.go use the search function but how.do I test my.turbo?

Arisley

Reaction score
Turn truck off, keys in pocket. Pull intake, spin turbo. It should spin free. Wiggle up and down and side to side. Tiny, tiny bit of movement is OK, there has to be a little clearance for oil, like maybe .0015. Push wheel in and out, there should be zero movement. Start truck and see if wheel is moving, DO NOT touch the wheel if you like having fingers. Shut off truck and pull downpipe. Is it oily, there should be nothing there but dry soot.

Dantheman

Reaction score
Can you tell if it is oil smoke or fuel smoke? Both can be a white color. The smell will tell the tale. Also is it a steady stream of smoke or does it puff? If the EBPV was stuck it could have had high EGTs if you pushed it hard. I would check the turbo on the outlet side also as mentioned before to see if oil is leaking from a seal.

Last edited:

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
No apparent oil,the exhaust just smells like exhaust.Kinda@a stand still today shop is full&its storming

Dantheman

Reaction score
If it does not have a distinct smell could it be steam? Do you have compression in the cooling system?

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
No its.smoke 4sure,the cooliant level has stayed the same over the past 2 months that Ive had it.Theres not a blown headgasket 4sure

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Ok well I just copied these texts from the guy that I use for scanning the truck
I found my diesel guy. Pretty much know what's wrong. Valve covers have to come off. Gaskets are $170. I can probably fix it that way. May be able to use same gaskets if they don't tear. We have to replace the wiring inside the valve cover.
***************************************** My deisl mech says if it runs and exellerates at all its not the injectors pump. Not a fuelled pressure problem it's probably the injectors not getting there signal. Three or so will be out. If you get the port I can borrow a tester from the farm

Blowby

Reaction score
Ok well I just copied these texts from the guy that I use for scanning the truck
I found my diesel guy. Pretty much know what's wrong. Valve covers have to come off. Gaskets are $170. I can probably fix it that way. May be able to use same gaskets if they don't tear. We have to replace the wiring inside the valve cover.
***************************************** My deisl mech says if it runs and exellerates at all its not the injectors pump. Not a fuelled pressure problem it's probably the injectors not getting there signal. Three or so will be out. If you get the port I can borrow a tester from the farm

Looks like you need a new diesel guy! :doh:

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Ha%Not my diesel mechanic thats what the other fella said..I.was thinking this is.my 1st diesel & just from reading& being on the forums I think I have a better understanding of this motor than he does so I dont think Ill be using him

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
What color is the fuel filter? What about oil level and condition?

Sounds like a possible injector o-ring or injector issue. I would want to pull the valve covers, start it and watch the injectors looking for pissing oil from poppet seals or gurgling up oil from possible o-ring issues. And of course trying to measure fuel pressure even before all of this will help know where you stand.

Any chance you have gasoline in the tank?

Latest posts

Members online