Advice on possibly moving to Dallas area

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Advice on moving to Dallas area

Well guys, I currently live in michigan, but am considering making a big move down to the dallas area. Good friend of mine lives in Plano and said I could crash with him until i found something.

My question to you guys is how is the job market down in that area?

I have a degree in Agricultural diesel technology, with a separate diploma in Alternative fuels technology. I have been working for the last year as an Engineering test lab technician for Meritor (Formerly Rockwell) and I have become rather familiar with the test software. I'm not really interested in becoming a grease monkey on an oil rig or anything like that, I would like to find a job putting my skills to use and making me think.

I guess what im looking for is how is the area down there? Are there any known test facilities or anything along those lines?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
Well guys, I currently live in michigan, but am considering making a big move down to the dallas area. Good friend of mine lives in Plano and said I could crash with him until i found something.

My question to you guys is how is the job market down in that area?

I have a degree in Agricultural diesel technology, with a separate diploma in Alternative fuels technology. I have been working for the last year as an Engineering test lab technician for Meritor (Formerly Rockwell) and I have become rather familiar with the test software. I'm not really interested in becoming a grease monkey on an oil rig or anything like that, I would like to find a job putting my skills to use and making me think.

I guess what im looking for is how is the area down there? Are there any known test facilities or anything along those lines?

Thanks in advance.

Couldn't tell you anything as far as the job goes, unless you WOULD like to be a grease monkey lol, but as for the area, it's great! Plano especially is a NICE area. Most of the near cities/towns are nice as well. Tons of places to eat, tons of traffic to get stuck in, depending on where you drive, and what time of day. I'm about 20 minutes from Plano. I've been here my whole life though, so i guess you could say i am biased, because Texas is the best state, imo.

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
Texas>Michigan

Your truck wont rot out from under you here.. I have no clue on the job situation but Texas' economy is usually very strong compared to other states. Yay oil!

but Im also a little biased

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I fully agree that Texas>Michigan, and I've never even been there. Michigan just flat out sucks anymore.

I am not opened to a new career but it would have to be something I enjoyed and hopefully pay more LOL

Duckdawg

Reaction score
You may be able to find somthing oil field that's related to lab work, maybe testing core samples or something but idk how much of that if any, would be close to Dallas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I am not objected to the oil industry what so ever. I just don't want to be out on rigs or doing repair work out in the field. I'd like to value my knowledge at more than that. I am not in any way putting down people that do that type of work, I'd just prefer to find something that I can do the rest of my life and not absolutely kill my body but make good money at the same time.

johnschrader77

Reaction score
I am from Dallas, and the economy is rockin and always has. We have not been hit that hard with the economy here.You will love it. It's very hot and humid in the summer, but that's the only bad thing I have found. The pay scale here is great and the cost of living is pretty damn good for the pay scale. Let me know if I can inform you with anything else. Plano is really nice also.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I am from Dallas, and the economy is rockin and always has. We have not been hit that hard with the economy here.You will love it. It's very hot and humid in the summer, but that's the only bad thing I have found. The pay scale here is great and the cost of living is pretty damn good for the pay scale. Let me know if I can inform you with anything else. Plano is really nice also.

That's great to hear. I am planning a trip for the end of January to check out the area and maybe do a little bit of job hunting. Something has always drawn me to Texas, I don't know what but its just one of those things I feel like I have to at least try out.

Arisley

Reaction score
The good side to that, is there are some apartment complexes that will give you extremely cheap rent on certain apartments.

Arisley

Reaction score
Sunday is Cowboys VS Giants. Saw the Giants team busses in town this afternoon. They are staying in Fort Worth, not Dallas.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.