Rear tire wear abnormal

Captaincworley

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Ive got a 15' FX4 with a Newton leveling kit and 20x10 Fuel couplers with 35x12.50x20 Amp Terrains installed.The fronts are wearing perfect,However the rear is wearing oddly.Basically on the center lugs,Half of the front lug is wearing and half isn't and the same thing goes for the rear.You can also see where the siping is wore down in the middle of the lugs as well.No spinning out or anything and all the tires have 65psi in them.I do notice a good bit of vibration in my seats indicating Something to do with the rear wheels/tires,But I've had them balanced twice and they were fine both times.A frind told me in his cummins that he had some vibration and odd tire wear due to high pressures in the rear with his open country M/T'S and suggested that I lower the pressure in the rear tires.I dropped them to 50 Just to see and honestly It seems like it did away with most of the shaking in the seats.I was just curious to see If anyone knew what it could possibly be.It doesn't always have the shaking in the seats,I guess its dependant on the road that im on,Then i chalked it off as it had to be a nature of the beast type thing since i have mud tires.Ive included some pics guys.The 1st pic is of my front tires and the rest are of the back tires.Thanks for any help guys!!
F690F420-0284-4063-A429-AE5D8590BA7E.jpg

7CC2383D-0457-4148-B737-5184E5BEC4EC.jpg

3B837707-EB81-43D1-9BE0-43989E030A15.jpg

39324582-5D58-4AFE-A4B9-7A5A18D70E8B.jpg

tbsimmons

Reaction score
65 is too much.
Put the truck in the street that is about a football field long with the tires straight
Take a grease pin or something and mark across the tread on one front and rear tire.
Drive down the road dont turn.
Look at the line on the tires. Wore in the middle too much air, wore on the sides not enough. I am willing to bet both your front and back are going to be wearing in the middle.

mandkole

Reaction score
How many miles on the tires? Are both rears wearing the same way? Do you have a load on the rear tires? if you dont, 65 is too much. Air pressure is a function of weight carrying needs. More weight = more pressure (up to the max pressure rating). I dont run more than 45-50 when unloaded as it just gives a better ride.

However, whether the pressure is 65 or 50 psi, there should be no vibration in a good, well balanced tire. Id rotate them to the front and see if the truck's behavior changes when driving.

IdahoF350

Reaction score
Even towing with my 2005, I had scaled the truck, and with the front and rear axle weights relatively even within about 200lbs, my last set of Toyo M/Ts centered out the rears at 65psi all around for towing. It took a set of 35% tires all around and after 9,000 miles of towing the 5th wheel that year, the rears were done and the fronts were still about 25%. I snagged a couple 25% Toyos from the local tire shop and running them at 50psi towing they wore evenly, but still faster than the fronts. Rotation is critical with these too, not just pressure, but too much pressure will nuke these in the centers.

Sent by my right thumb!

RedRice589

Reaction score
Ran them on my truck for 10k and idk why they wore funny as well i dropped the pressure in the rear to 50 psi and it helped in the rear. I left the front alone.

Latest posts

Members online