2003 f350 6.0 RCSB Build

Nickc919

Reaction score
I am new to Powerstroke Army and I have seen several threads on RCSB builds over time and they have all inspired me to build my own so I decided I would start a thread to show my build that is still in progress now. I built this truck in my home garage with a few good friends.

A little background I searched for a single cab long bed that wasn't beat to hell and ran well and never realized how hard it was to find in the north east without being completely rotted out or a beat work truck. Then a buddy called saying he had one with 199k miles which was higher than I wanted but I figured if it was clean id buy it. So I ended up buying it and here is what it looked like when I brought it home.
image2.jpg

Clean rust free truck at a cheap price and it ran great.
I wasted no time tearing the bed and ladder rack off and sold them. I had a blue short bed laying in my yard for another rotted out super duty, surprise..., so I slapped it on to see the bolt line up and difference.
image3.jpg

once we sat around staring at it and how ridiculous it looked we couldn't wait to dive into cutting the frame. However it was not going to be a straight cut like some ive seen so I decided on a Z cut and I would weld plates behind the cuts then box it in. I saw a few guys do this and decided this was the best route.

cleaning and marking the frame.
frame.jpg

After 4 hours of cross measuring, marking points on the cab with lasers, and having way too much anxiety about screwing up I started cutting.
cutting.jpg

Nickc919

Reaction score
Picture After the cut 16.25" taken out of the frame
cut.jpg

The Z cut was then tack welded. We measured corner to corner and made sure the marks on the cab were dead on and set the bed down to make sure all holes lined up which they did. Then I welded the z cut ground it down rewelded and ground down again until flat. The inside got the same but I welded octagons over top of the z cut like I saw a member of the forums Superdiesel do to his build.

test fit of bed
blue.jpg

Picture of the initial welds on octagon

weld.jpg

Picture of the inside 1/4" plate boxing the frame in. Bed mount slot is a little rough forgot to cut it before I welded the plate in :doh:

frame%205.jpg

Outside of the frame. As I stated before I wanted it to look factoryish and not just a straight cut with some jagged plate welded over top if it.
frame%204.jpg

The rear section of the frame prepped and painted. 4" mbrp exhaust, new bed bolt clips, and shortbed tank were installed before pictures were taken.

paint.jpg

paint%203.jpg

bed set on with stock wheels then with a set of stock lariat wheels off my old 08 with bald 35s on. Damn 6.4's eat tires lol

blue.jpg

08%20wheels.jpg

Nickc919

Reaction score
During the whole process I kept deciding what to do with the truck either paint it or keep it white for now until I got it running the way I wanted. The blue bed I had was for my girlfriends truck which she won that battle for the bed, however I ended up finding the cleanest 2004 ext cab shortbed xl model truck on craigslist with a bad 5.4 in it. I ended up paying $1100 for the whole truck which is still cheap for a perfect rust free bed. This truck had 350,xxx on it and I can not believe how clean it was. So this made up my mind to keep the truck white until I decided what to do with it.
IMG_5659.jpg

Nickc919

Reaction score
New shoes got delivered decided to go with a 20x10 and 285 nitto 420s
IMG_6115.jpg

FINALLY not looking like a work truck and looking like a shorty
image1.jpg

image13_1.jpg

I have an 05 front end and 08 bumper getting painted white to go on next week and hopefully this weekend the cab will get pulled for studs egr, hpop, oil cooler, bigger turbo. The truck is lowered on DJM rear 5" lowering hangers and shackles forgot to mention that the front is left stock for now. I can still drop another hole in the rear if need be. Now time to make it fast!:naughty::redspotdance:

Nickc919

Reaction score
what did you do for the fuel tank

I took the tank out of the extended cab short bed truck the 29? I believe gallon tank. It fits with the back strap in the right location I bought new straps and modified them, and made a tab in the frame for the front strap. You can also tie it into the cross member under the cab and bolt it in there.

Boorail85

Reaction score
starting to look really nice! Plans for some power upgrades??

Also, what offset are those wheels? They sit really well.

Nickc919

Reaction score
starting to look really nice! Plans for some power upgrades??

Also, what offset are those wheels? They sit really well.

The wheels are 20x10 -24mm offset. Going to go with a MTW turbo to start its finally getting the cab off this weekend to get studded ******d oil pump while I'm there etc. This spring I should be starting the power upgrades.

sootie

Reaction score
The wheels are 20x10 -24mm offset. Going to go with a MTW turbo to start its finally getting the cab off this weekend to get studded ******d oil pump while I'm there etc. This spring I should be starting the power upgrades.

forget MTW. much better options on this board KC Turbos, Barder etc.

shmoozer

Reaction score
I second ditching MTW. KC and Barder are the go to guys and are excellent to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online