Cracked wheel - good repair??

mandkole

Reaction score
Swapping out the MTs for an AT and the last wheel gave a surprise.... 2.cracks--good news it's on the inside. Who's done or had a repair made to a stock wheel? These are 08-10 8 spokes that I have a bunch of time in stripping/ polishing so I'd like to repair.

Attachments

• IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1583.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1584.JPG
    IMG_1584.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 106

Zmann

Reaction score
i usually see the cracks run the other way

that's like a split?
personally, I would get rid of them no matter how much work i spent on them
but call around to your local body shops they usually have a decent local refinisher

mandkole

Reaction score
Yeah, I plan to check with a few repair shops. It's not in the bead seal area yet -- but agree that it's concerning. These tires were only on for the past couple years (maybe 7-8k miles) and the wheels were fine then.

Zmann

Reaction score
OEM rims had a history of issues but even those that I have seen crack
look like this
PC190005.jpg

sootie

Reaction score
I've split those 08 20s both ways. Get rid of the wheel and inspect the other three with a fine tooth comb

mandkole

Reaction score
Thanks guys-- I will definitely be doing more inspection and recommend others to do same. I'm only considering repair due location of crack.

Any other experiences out there with doing (or having) a repair like this? Looks like it's been done a fair amount, but I've seen more on car wheels than truck wheels. Shops repair big truck wheel beads with tig'd filler so the tech should be out there.

mandkole

Reaction score
Good point on cast.. I've found a few old threads but none really talked about repairs. I've just been trying to learn what's out there.

Codydiesel

Reaction score
If the base metal is still good and not corroded it can be repaired. You have to drill a hole at the end of the crack so it won't continue farther. After that prep the area well and pre heat the rim to 300-350 degrees and tig weld it.

mandkole

Reaction score
I've come to find that these stock wheels are forged, but also fairly tired. Never knew the things to look for.. they were used on a truck that was heavy often, lots of brake dust, and was in the dirt/dust a lot. The cracks must have happened right after mounting the tires the last time and have had time to corrode.

They can be welded as said but it's only to buy some time. I'll need to start looking for another set. Good news is I'm only out polishing time as I've only had 300 in the wheels themselves.

When you buy used wheels and the seller does not remove the rat azz tires, it's an extra expense but also a risk with these big trucks.

Powderhound

Reaction score
Our Ford Edge sport with factory 22" and not much rubber got a crack across the bead simular to that one.
I drilled it, had a buddy weld it and I ground it down really well.
With some head sealer liberallyapplied to the head area.
It's bees sealed since, that was over a year ago.
Granted, this is on a 5,000lb car/SUV.
A truck may see much more stress that our Edge.

Members online

No members online now.