Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 94-97 Tech

Old 05-18-2020, 08:14 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Default Anyone have experience with Cali 7.3's?

Well I unknowingly swapped a California motor out of a 97 into my federal 96. I got it to run somehow with the wrong ecu, and icm but boy is it rough. It's my understanding that the only difference is the wiring for the glow plug relay is different, the harness is plugged slightly different, and it has ab split shot injectors and a fuel pulsation damper to accommodate split shots . Would I be better off swapping my original harness and injectors in? Will they work with the pulsation damper? I sure hate the fella at the wrecking yard right now.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2020, 08:28 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Going to need a tune to run the split shot injectors correctly. Either a direct flash of the PCM or run a chip like a hydra chip with correct split shot tuning. OR pull injectors and install single shot injectors. I would go with a hydra chip with split shot tuning. The AB injectors are slightly higher in capacity then the AA injectors. AA are like 98cc and AB are 120cc injectors. With the split shots and correct tuning you will have a slightly quiter engine as well.
1951 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2 Ton

Last edited by superpsd; 05-18-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:17 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

This makes alot of sense, do people swap ab injectors into obs ford often? I've never considered that. would I want to go back to the original harness that is going to work with my glow plug relay and for sure be pinned the same? There seems to be conflicting info on the 42 pin connectors compatibility.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:46 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

You would want to go back to the original harness using the original PCM (reprogrammed for ABs). Late 1996 Cali trucks that had AB injectors used a MIF-series program for automatics and AUG-series for 5-speeds. You would get rid of the shunt on the Glowplug relay as there would be no monitoring circuits. You didn't say whether the truck is a 5-speed (DPC-203 PCM) or E4OD (DPC-202 PCM). 1997 California PCMs (DPC-312 for E4OD or DPC-311 for 5-speed) are pinned out completely different. Wires for MAP, BARO, IVS, CPS, Shift and Clutch Solenoids (E4OD), Brake Warning Indicator, Tachometer Feed, IDM Enable, WTS Output, Transmission Control Indicator Lamp all moved. They added the GP monitoring wiring circuits on the 97s. Cheers!

SOLD - 1994 F350 CC DRW 2WD PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, DPPI DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer Overhead Console, A-Pillar w/ISSPRO Black Ice, EV Boost, and EV Pyro, Modified Pedestal, Gutted EBPV.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:50 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Good to know, it's a 5 speed. I'll get the harness switched back over tomorrow while I figure out which way to go with injectors or programmer.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:00 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

If you go with the AA injectors, your old harness and PCM (should be a DPC-203) and programming should be fine. ****** the shunt on the GPR. You could probably leave the pulse damper on the fuel pump banjo fitting without issue (or if you have the old banjo fitting/fuel line assembly you could swap that in).

If you go with AB injectors, use the old harness and PCM with an AUG-series program (or get tuner with custom tunes for ABs) and ****** the shunt.

Cheers!

SOLD - 1994 F350 CC DRW 2WD PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, DPPI DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer Overhead Console, A-Pillar w/ISSPRO Black Ice, EV Boost, and EV Pyro, Modified Pedestal, Gutted EBPV.