6.7 CFD turbo kit frustration

Dan

Reaction score
ok so ill just get right into this here,

end of February, after owning my truck for 3 months, and not satisfied with just a deleted and tuned truck, i contacted cfd for options of a single turbo kit. i could not find any aftermarket companies doing a single kit at that time (on websites) after a half hour phone conversation with justin i was reasured that the product they had to offer was absolutly perfect and that there was boat load of trucks that had their kit running flawlessly, this was enough for me to make the 4100 km drive down to his shop in boonsboro the first weekend of march. as i expected quite a big operation, cfd is a 4 bay shop out in the middle of nowhere which raised a little concern but i dismissed it as the folks were very warm welcoming.

the project was to take a month to a month and a half (i was informed that they wanted to make sure that my truck was absolutly perfect before it left their shop) we had decided over the phone on a 9180 efr turbo t3 flange turbo as a good fit for the truck and when i raised concern with the bottom end i was reasured that if the truck was tuned like a duramax it would be as reliable as it was from the factory. with the truck back running i booked a ticket for the last week in april to pick up the truck and 3-4 days before my flight i get a call saying my engine had a tick and most likely has a bent rod..

after sitting in the ford dealership for 2 weeks with the hopes of a potential warrenty coverage of the short block they finally got the engine appart and found bent #3 rod and spun rod bearings all around, and im not here to say what caused that but im assuming tuning had a role in that... no warrenty coverage, as i expected so the engine was built with rods, head studs and valve train upgrades as well as dual fuel and a frozen boost intercooler... long story short, i got a plane ticket down to pick up the truck for 3rd week in august and truck was together running and seemed to be running well until we got about half our on the road from airport to their shop when the 220gph cp4 fass lost prime and had to top up fuel tank at 1/2 tank... here we go

the next day i pop the hood and there is a tiny k&n air filter in there (unfortunately did not get a pic of that) i then spent a couple hours fitting my afe air filter in there and then hit the road 4100 km back home. i made it about half way before having to rewire my fass due to blowing fuses like unreal fast.

by the time i got home i had a cracked y pipe, e fan that fell off, and quite the work of art turbo kit!!! :doh::pint:

anyways i hope everyone can know the truth about that shop, the shady inexperience that goes on there and i am excited to be working with custom auto for a gtx42/55 twin kit and excited to see where this leads me!

pictures to follow

Dan

Reaction score
IMG_1497.JPG

524422_158456761017738_1490964476_n.jpg

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2021.JPG

jdgleason

Reaction score
Damn homie that sucks to hear. Sweet truck, I hope that you get it all figured out.

I'm interested to see how well the 6.7 can spool those big ass chargers. Good for you for pushing the envelope though.

Elliott

Reaction score
Another "quality" install by CFD!! I wonder if their welder has his face shield painted black instead of the proper lens, I don't weld much, but betting I could do a better job. Glad you're putting the word out there and pics to prove. Hope you get everything sorted out, looking forward to hearing how she runs after you get the compounds in!

Latest posts

Members online