13-16 Spartan tuning

ftast350

Reaction score
So Spartan is only a couple months away from having 13-16 6.7 tuners ready for shipping! Incase you guys didn't know.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
No promises on the SOTF option.

It's good to see some folks are interested in the tuning though! We're just as ready and excited as you guys are. We just have to make sure everything is perfect before releasing anything.

theplumber

Reaction score
If they made SOTF for sure i will change !!! I have SCT and it sucks to rerpogram all tje time !!!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
I think it will be very hard for them to get people back after all this time and now that SCT is the king of the hill.

I'm up to give the challenge a try. I'd much prefer a properly built, albeit late released, product over something rushed. Late delivery of the tools I needed to start development don't alter our mission in the least. Nor does it change the fact that our product will bring options to bear in the market that don't exist anywhere else. A market vacuum makes for easy market domination.

Which is exactly why SCT reigns currently, one might conclude. And if you are going to speculate wildly on the outcome of a product not yet even released, I'll argue semantics and point out that SCT actually offers nothing other in the 6.7 race market- much more qualified people, like Innovative and Gearhead, build and sell those products. Your post above is bordering on strawman.

For the immediate future, we are going to continue working on the best products within technical reach, and provide updates to our existing products to follow in line with what our current customers are asking for. 13-16MY support and improvements to our 11/12MY product were at the top of the list.

As to who remains king of the hill, I suppose time will tell. Perhaps my memory fails me, but I'm almost certain I recall you making a strikingly similar observation between Spartan and H&S back in 2011. Something to the note of, Spartan was irrelevant now that H&S offers a competing product?

An objective narrator might point out that it seems time settled that discussion, too.

Captaincworley

Reaction score
Perhaps my memory fails me, but I'm almost certain I recall you making a strikingly similar observation between Spartan and H&S back in 2011. Something to the note of, Spartan was irrelevant now that H&S offers a competing product?

Good lord you remember someone's post from 4yrs ago over the net?

What color am I thinking of? Lol. In all seriousness tho I'm glad to see somthing else coming out for the 15's. If anything all it can do is push everyone else to step up their game if need be which would be a win win for everybody. Looking forward to the release. Waiting longer is much better than releasing somthing that plain doesn't work. I remember when the Bullydog gt came out for the 2013 Hemi Ram's. I think it was like 3-4 updates later before the truck actually performed better than stock!

Charles

ftast350

Reaction score
These have been in the works for what 3 years (2013 6.7s) where as everyone else has been 4-6 months after the 15s were released? I have purchases other tunes already but I am excite to see some results of these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uga33

Reaction score
I'm up to give the challenge a try. I'd much prefer a properly built, albeit late released, product over something rushed. Late delivery of the tools I needed to start development don't alter our mission in the least. Nor does it change the fact that our product will bring options to bear in the market that don't exist anywhere else. A market vacuum makes for easy market domination.

Which is exactly why SCT reigns currently, one might conclude. And if you are going to speculate wildly on the outcome of a product not yet even released, I'll argue semantics and point out that SCT actually offers nothing other in the 6.7 race market- much more qualified people, like Innovative and Gearhead, build and sell those products. Your post above is bordering on strawman.

For the immediate future, we are going to continue working on the best products within technical reach, and provide updates to our existing products to follow in line with what our current customers are asking for. 13-16MY support and improvements to our 11/12MY product were at the top of the list.

As to who remains king of the hill, I suppose time will tell. Perhaps my memory fails me, but I'm almost certain I recall you making a strikingly similar observation between Spartan and H&S back in 2011. Something to the note of, Spartan was irrelevant now that H&S offers a competing product?

An objective narrator might point out that it seems time settled that discussion, too.

Good to see you posting again Matt. Can't wait to see what y'all roll out in the upcoming months.

Reaction score

Its great that you guys are coming out with another option for tuning. While I am happy to see that there will be more options coming to the market, I will say I would happen to agree with DSL PWR on this one.

From a lot of things I have read (I know, you cant believe everything you read online so you're welcome to correct me if its wrong!), but seems like there was several people unhappy with driveability of your tuning and some reliability concerns. Some have said that there hasnt been one update to your tuning on the 11-12s to help address these issues. Is this correct? That may have burned some bridges which will take time to fix. You mentioned that youd rather not rush something to market and having the tuning properly built, but there seems to be people left hangin for a long time from your original 11-12 release due to trying to bring something to the market first. Just an observation, may not be facts.

This is not intended to be a personal bash on you or your company. Im just someone who does a lot of research before I ever buy anything and am not biased one way or another. And when I bought my tuner a couple years ago, the choice was either down to you or H&S. I chose H&S due to a LOT of reading reviews and dont regret it one bit. I could have gone either way at that time though. And as you put it that time has settled that discussion about H&S. Even though H&S is gone and has been gone, we all still hear frequently that everyone wishes that platform hadnt gone away due to the countless options available. I dont hear the same about Spartan tuning and that is why I believe you have some damage control to do to gain the customers back. Which I believe is what DSL PWR was essentially getting at.

Anyways, best of luck to you on your future tuning and hope it helps drive the market to be more competive. Cause when that happens, we all win!! :toast:

Ctsvnino

Reaction score
I would switch in a heart beat and tell others to switch or wait if Spartan has better running and easier to custom tune on there programmersm

charles henson

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If it doesn't offer anything other then that cute lil pod then i really don't see it being a game changer.I can however see that happening if it offered something others don't have like shift on the fly & a functional brake.
I guess it'll just be a day late dollar short kind of deal thats only appealing to spartan loyalist,but hey welcome to the party anyway.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Its great that you guys are coming out with another option for tuning. While I am happy to see that there will be more options coming to the market, I will say I would happen to agree with DSL PWR on this one.

From a lot of things I have read (I know, you cant believe everything you read online so you're welcome to correct me if its wrong!), but seems like there was several people unhappy with driveability of your tuning and some reliability concerns. Some have said that there hasnt been one update to your tuning on the 11-12s to help address these issues. Is this correct? That may have burned some bridges which will take time to fix. You mentioned that youd rather not rush something to market and having the tuning properly built, but there seems to be people left hangin for a long time from your original 11-12 release due to trying to bring something to the market first. Just an observation, may not be facts.

This is not intended to be a personal bash on you or your company. Im just someone who does a lot of research before I ever buy anything and am not biased one way or another. And when I bought my tuner a couple years ago, the choice was either down to you or H&S. I chose H&S due to a LOT of reading reviews and dont regret it one bit. I could have gone either way at that time though. And as you put it that time has settled that discussion about H&S. Even though H&S is gone and has been gone, we all still hear frequently that everyone wishes that platform hadnt gone away due to the countless options available. I dont hear the same about Spartan tuning and that is why I believe you have some damage control to do to gain the customers back. Which I believe is what DSL PWR was essentially getting at.

Anyways, best of luck to you on your future tuning and hope it helps drive the market to be more competive. Cause when that happens, we all win!! :toast:

I've got no problem with objective criticism, nor your input. DSL_PWR simply has some kind of "thing" against us, always have and I've yet to hear a reason for it, as he (to my knowledge) has never owned one of our products.

The strategy off which our previous 11/12 tuning is based was a very, very early release. There are some drivability issues (namely, a few DTC issues, the 1st to 2nd low throttle slam shift experienced by some) we've went back and addressed by starting with an entirely new strategy, based off of the latest Ford reflash, and such is the reason I mentioned earlier that even the updates for existing product are basically a full replacement for the earlier calibrations, not just a patch or update.

A good deal of what I've learned working with the 2015/2016 trucks has been very useful in going back and making improvements to the existing product, with the update coming out. The throttle is smoother and more proportional, part throttle shifting is smoother, and WOT shifting (which was very solid to start with) is cleaner and quicker. I've implemented these techniques across the board, from 2011 to the 2016 trucks hitting dealer lots now.

As far as custom tuning is concerned: we are getting back to our early roots in this department, and will be offering full custom tuning immediately following the 13-16MY product release, for both 6.4L and 6.7L applications. Both myself and Jeff will be available and accessible to work with for having custom files made for both nGauge and nDash, existing units and new ones alike.

I had stopped offering this several years ago due to several reasons (personal time consumed with other projects, 6.7 development back in 2011, understaffed here at the Spartan office, etc) but we are now in a new, much larger facility, a permanent in-house dyno, and a larger crew. With the workload down, we've decided to start offering it again.

You'll also be able to purchase River City Diesel file sets for our devices soon, for both 6.4L and 6.7L, along with purchasing our devices straight from them with their tunes pre-installed.

One other thing to note, is that we have files in testing now for 2011 through 2014 pickups for installation of both the 2015MY turbocharger, and CP4.2 injection pump. All HP levels for 11-14 will be available with these changes for download on our site, free of charge, shortly following the initial product release.

Of course, if you want a true custom file made for a turbo swap or anything else, we will be available to do that also, as mentioned above.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
HpTuners based?

All custom tuning mentioned below will be in-house, written by either myself or Jeff. River City Diesel may choose to offer their own custom file offerings beyond that of their base file set through our device in the next couple of months; I'll let Josh speak for them on that.

As far as end-user level software: it is on our drawing board, but I can't comment beyond that at this time. Ourselves and RCD are currently using engineering-level software to make changes, not a specific diesel-defined GUI based software with built-in file handling like SCT Advantage or HPTuner's software. When a commercially viable, integrated GUI software is ready, we will launch it promptly.

Last edited:

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
If it doesn't offer anything other then that cute lil pod then i really don't see it being a game changer.I can however see that happening if it offered something others don't have like shift on the fly & a functional brake.
I guess it'll just be a day late dollar short kind of deal thats only appealing to spartan loyalist,but hey welcome to the party anyway.

Forgive my ignorance here, but on mention of the exhaust brake- are current tuning products negatively impacting the performance of the factory exhaust brake, or are you finding the performance of the factory one unsatisfactory?

Latest posts

Members online