What welding hood do you have

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yup. It's a pain in the azz welding outside with uv sensors. Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/welding_protection/head_face/helmets/digital-elite/
There you go. I have this problem inside if I use the wrong type of lighting to illuminate my work. It needs to be more diffused lighting as apposed to more powerful focused lighting. If the source hits the sensor just right then it darkens. It can be a real pain in the azz. I can imagine bring outside could be even worse if you are exposed to direct sunlight.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Exactly. A lot of guys used them in the tig class I took but I don't think they knew how to enable this feature or were aware of it.
yeah tyhe high freq is bad ass... but i never cared for auto darkening. i learned how to stickweld with a flip hood and used to could pass x-ray quality testing. once you can do that then there is no need for a auto darkening hood.

live life full throttle

B.Warning

Reaction score
lmao. whats matter sweet cheeks? you dont need a hood. just let the guy you hire to weld do the welding.. no need for you to watch him....

live life full throttle

I wish I had a little midget welder I could shove in my toolbox once I throw the welder on the truck that could weld to my standards. Unfortunately midgets have full size feelings and that's not possible. So that leaves me to do the welding, cuz I'll be damned if I'm going to pay someone to do something I'm capable of.
There you go. I have this problem inside if I use the wrong type of lighting to illuminate my work. It needs to be more diffused lighting as apposed to more powerful focused lighting. If the source hits the sensor just right then it darkens. It can be a real pain in the azz. I can imagine bring outside could be even worse if you are exposed to direct sunlight.

You must have some badazz lights in your shop then compared to what I got. Our equipment is too big and normally breaks in the field. So that's where a lot of the welding gets done at. Sun is either directly above me or to my back screwing with the uv sensors. I've burnt my eyes to many times already from a shltty helmet and the sun screwing with the lense.

psduser1

Reaction score

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I wish I had a little midget welder I could shove in my toolbox once I throw the welder on the truck that could weld to my standards. Unfortunately midgets have full size feelings and that's not possible. So that leaves me to do the welding, cuz I'll be damned if I'm going to pay someone to do something I'm capable of.

You must have some badazz lights in your shop then compared to what I got. Our equipment is too big and normally breaks in the field. So that's where a lot of the welding gets done at. Sun is either directly above me or to my back screwing with the uv sensors. I've burnt my eyes to many times already from a shltty helmet and the sun screwing with the lense.
lmao! your standards? come on dude, i have seen your welds....

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
yeah tyhe high freq is bad ass... but i never cared for auto darkening. i learned how to stickweld with a flip hood and used to could pass x-ray quality testing. once you can do that then there is no need for a auto darkening hood.

live life full throttle
That's with the type of welding you did. I have to weld things really small and you can't be jerking your head around before you light up or you will loose your position. Like I said before, they have their place in certain circumstances especially really low amp tig welding on small parts.. I could be over analeyezing though or just suck at welding though. ;)

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That's with the type of welding you did. I have to weld things really small and you can't be jerking your head around before you light up or you will loose your position. Like I said before, they have their place in certain circumstances especially really low amp tig welding on small parts.. I could be over analeyezing though or just suck at welding though. ;)
right on man. i still didnt use it while tig welding either... but if you are welding razor blades together then i could see the use for one!

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
right on man. i still didnt use it while tig welding either... but if you are welding razor blades together then i could see the use for one!

live life full throttle
That's what I use for practice sometimes but it doesn't really prepare me for the small diameter thin walled tubing (1/4" and below) I have to weld sometimes. Welding around tight radius just plane ducks for me. The coffee doesn't help either.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I always love me some good ol ball busting. Keeps you on your toes.

psduser1

Reaction score
That's what I use for practice sometimes but it doesn't really prepare me for the small diameter thin walled tubing (1/4" and below) I have to weld sometimes. Welding around tight radius just plane ducks for me. The coffee doesn't help either.

That stuffs great:D
Most that stuff I do with a pushbutton welder, but sometimes you've gotta do it by hand.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
now thats talent!! right on man! post some pics.

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
Things that have a lot of thermal mass seem to be much more forgiving if you happen to light up in the wrong place. It gives you time to compose yourself and get moving at the correct travel speed. This is a 3/4" fitting welded to an 1/8" plate. Fillet welds seem to be easy though most of the time.

5200048215677d55ddb37b005a752847.jpg

Sterling B.

Reaction score
I picked up a Miller Digital Elite at the tail end of last year from CyberWeld and caught the rebate. X-mode is great for working outdoors.:thumbup:

Jomax

Reaction score
Things that have a lot of thermal mass seem to be much more forgiving if you happen to light up in the wrong place. It gives you time to compose yourself and get moving at the correct travel speed. This is a 3/4" fitting welded to an 1/8" plate. Fillet welds seem to be easy though most of the time.

5200048215677d55ddb37b005a752847.jpg

Amazing welds! I'll learn someday lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Amazing welds! I'll learn someday lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man! They don't always look like that. That was probably done before I had my coffee at work. Lol! A nice compact water cooled torch setup does wonders for helping you stay comfortable. I have a nice CK Swivel with all of the smaller consumables, but have not put a cooler together yet. If I get another decent sized aluminum job I may just go ahead and order everything. Aluminum will get an air cooled torch pretty hot in no time. You should check your local cc and see if they offer welding classes. It's a great way to get a lot of seat time. They may even have an evening class that would coincide with your work schedule.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online