Cracked heads on 6.4L

Red Ripper

Reaction score
I have been reading diffrent forum about the 6.4L heads cracking :wtf:
My engine is under the knife since I cracked #1 piston in half.. now im told my heads have small cracks in them will just getting hardened valve seats be enough to make my heads last???:shrug:
I also have EDE stage 1.5 upgrade on it way

Spatel23

Reaction score
if the cracks are on the exhaust side, the heads are most likely junk.
It depends on how far you want to go really. pushrods, valvetrain, etc.....
I would definitely go with hardened seats in the new set of heads, but as I stated above, from there it depends on how far you want to take it.

What EDE stage 1.5 are you referring to? heads?

BFT

Reaction score
Depending on how severe the cracks are, the heads can be repaired.
It's not uncommon that our heads crack in stock form do to high heat and most likely casting flaws.
I had hardened seats in my old truck and it was fine after 40k. There is another way but hasn't been fully confirmed that it'll work, but a couple guys have done it

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Depending on how severe the cracks are, the heads can be repaired.
It's not uncommon that our heads crack in stock form do to high heat and most likely casting flaws.
I had hardened seats in my old truck and it was fine after 40k. There is another way but hasn't been fully confirmed that it'll work, but a couple guys have done it

ill be pulling my heads soon;)

TRUBBS

Reaction score
Is there an expectable limit for cracks that is ok or is pretty much replace the as soon as you see one?
My heads are coming off soon and just trying to get an idea what to plan for

TRUBBS

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I stopped yesterday to talk to my buddy at ford who has been there Head diesel guy for many years and asked him what he thought about cracks & to no surprise he also said getting "Remanded" heads from ford is a crap shoot if they're better or worse then what you take off.
He said obviously he don't like any cracks but per ford/international they say heads with micro cracking is ok.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.