romping problem

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
gotch ya thank you very much ill do that up Tuesday night or wed morning. Im hoping its not injectors and if anything just O-rings on number 5 and 8. Im assuming if theres oil coming out of the spouts with the injectors unplugged at the harnesses then the poppet or poppets are not sealing as they should so those injectors will need to be replaced? If so ill swap so they are both on the same side that way when the replacements get here ill only have to pull one side apart whitch will be the driver side lol.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
Ok called off work whitch I never do but hell its 60 degrees and sunny out what better day to get some stuff done. I pulled the ipr, disassembled it, cleaned it, oiled it up, and resealed it and installed it, put in a new oil temp sensor as the other was reading 18 degrees yesterday when it was 42 degrees out and now this new one is within 2 degrees of the outside temp (close enough for me), and installed the oil crossover from Strictly. The injectors are 100 times quieter and now when cold at idle if you had ear plugs in you couldnt even tell its running its so smooth. Now at 150 to 155 degrees it gets a slight irregular not smooth idle but I haven't ran it enough to get all the air out of the system yet but ran a cct every 20 degrees as it was warming up to see when they start showing number 5 or 8 or both and neither came up at all up to 200 degrees. Ill get the air out and redo the tests but heres what its showing now,
ipr= 11.6 to 12.0%
icp= 523.7 to 535.6
eot at that point= 124.6 (didn't drive it yet to really warm the oil) coolant at 200 to 202 degrees.
inj pw= 2912.1 to 2992.3 and in between here n there.
The reburnt chip should be here by Friday (hopefully Wednesday as im off) then ill install that and see how it is. Maybie the slight irregular idle is air still in the system or the new chip will smooth things out. If not then off come the covers to check out stuff under there. The new obd MX adapter will be here for wed mornings cold buzz test and if this one doesn't do it then hell AE next payday with no doubts.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ok called off work whitch I never do but hell its 60 degrees and sunny out what better day to get some stuff done. I pulled the ipr, disassembled it, cleaned it, oiled it up, and resealed it and installed it, put in a new oil temp sensor as the other was reading 18 degrees yesterday when it was 42 degrees out and now this new one is within 2 degrees of the outside temp (close enough for me), and installed the oil crossover from Strictly. The injectors are 100 times quieter and now when cold at idle if you had ear plugs in you couldnt even tell its running its so smooth. Now at 150 to 155 degrees it gets a slight irregular not smooth idle but I haven't ran it enough to get all the air out of the system yet but ran a cct every 20 degrees as it was warming up to see when they start showing number 5 or 8 or both and neither came up at all up to 200 degrees. Ill get the air out and redo the tests but heres what its showing now,
ipr= 11.6 to 12.0%
icp= 523.7 to 535.6
eot at that point= 124.6 (didn't drive it yet to really warm the oil) coolant at 200 to 202 degrees.
inj pw= 2912.1 to 2992.3 and in between here n there.
The reburnt chip should be here by Friday (hopefully Wednesday as im off) then ill install that and see how it is. Maybie the slight irregular idle is air still in the system or the new chip will smooth things out. If not then off come the covers to check out stuff under there. The new obd MX adapter will be here for wed mornings cold buzz test and if this one doesn't do it then hell AE next payday with no doubts.
get some miles on it with a few wot pulls, do a brake stand or two and report back.

don't necessarily have to do the brake stand but it works.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
ok reporting back. Did a 120 mile run to bloom and back and a couple hard pulls up the mtns (2 wot runs uphill) and runs a lot smoother going down the road as a matter of fact I don't remember when it ran this good maybie 5 years ago. Still a very slight romp/rolling idle when hot but cold its amazing so ill hold off on the valve cover pull for right now till I get the newly burnt chip back from Swamps as this time he took everything I had mod wise and what its doing at an idle to reburn this one. Im still going to get new uvch and both vc gaskets as if I have to pull the vc there all going in new this time around. Cant wait to do the buzz test and see if its actually in the wiring/electrical side as now running multiple cct its only coming up number 8, no more number 5 fault. The only code im getting is for ebpv as I have that unplugged until next month and do the blank pedestal and free flow outlet whitch the outlet I already have.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
Well still has the slight romp/rolling idle when hot and at idle so im off tomorrow and going to swap that ipr selinoid and see what it does. If still there then have to get under the valve covers again and pressurize the oil side up and check O-rings and injectors for oil coming out the spouts. If nothing found there then fire it up and get it up to 150 to 155 degrees as that's when the roming starts and watch every injectors oil spouts for any irregular flow and also any rocker arms not going the full stroke as maybie a bent push rod or such. I doubt its drive train related as I didn have this before doing cups and injectors. If everything checks out good then off to my cousins in Allentown as he has a 98 7.3 there with block,heads, and pans on it with 107k miles on it for $600 bucks. Ill grab that one and get it torn down to get the machining done and build it while living with the romp idle till its done. Full arp studs and the works.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
Have a plan it just keeps getting longer lol. Swapped out the ipr solenoid and idle got better to the point where most of the time It idles good and once in a while it will romp slightly. If I use the high idle tune it gets the same baby romps but half of what it used to get with the old solenoid so its still improving and going the right way. I took some readings this morning after a cold buzz test that passed with flying colors and this is what it showed after driving about 35 to 40 miles,
hpop=594.5 to 608.2
ipr= 13.5 to 13.9
inj pw= 2392.0 to 2632.2
eot=94.5 degrees (why that cool I have no idea, new sensor and all)

those were at idle and approx. 200 degrees water temp.
This next list is at 200 degrees water temp and on the high idle tune (1200 rpms)
hpop= 503.7 to 509.3
ipr= 10.8 steady never fluxuated
inj pw= 2894.3 to 2952.6
eot= 89.0

if I could get the baby romp out of the high idle then Id be good. I do hear a very very light thumping in the intake very rhythmic like every time the same cylinder would hit it would make that thump but I have to put my head under the hood over the fender to actually hear it. Maybie this is normal with the Donaldson filter I don't know. I was reading up on bent pushrods and broken rocker arms and figured hell lets see and that's why I found that very slight thump. Ran 4 cct and every time I only got a number 8. No more number 5. Not sure if number 8 is just showing up due to a cps thing or what but I have a new original international black one in there and these are supposed to be the best.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Have a plan it just keeps getting longer lol. Swapped out the ipr solenoid and idle got better to the point where most of the time It idles good and once in a while it will romp slightly. If I use the high idle tune it gets the same baby romps but half of what it used to get with the old solenoid so its still improving and going the right way. I took some readings this morning after a cold buzz test that passed with flying colors and this is what it showed after driving about 35 to 40 miles,
hpop=594.5 to 608.2
ipr= 13.5 to 13.9
inj pw= 2392.0 to 2632.2
eot=94.5 degrees (why that cool I have no idea, new sensor and all)

those were at idle and approx. 200 degrees water temp.
This next list is at 200 degrees water temp and on the high idle tune (1200 rpms)
hpop= 503.7 to 509.3
ipr= 10.8 steady never fluxuated
inj pw= 2894.3 to 2952.6
eot= 89.0

if I could get the baby romp out of the high idle then Id be good. I do hear a very very light thumping in the intake very rhythmic like every time the same cylinder would hit it would make that thump but I have to put my head under the hood over the fender to actually hear it. Maybie this is normal with the Donaldson filter I don't know. I was reading up on bent pushrods and broken rocker arms and figured hell lets see and that's why I found that very slight thump. Ran 4 cct and every time I only got a number 8. No more number 5. Not sure if number 8 is just showing up due to a cps thing or what but I have a new original international black one in there and these are supposed to be the best.
Sent you a PM...

superpsd

Reaction score
As far as CPS go my 7.3 loves the newest Motorcraft CPS which are typically 25$. Your EOT is screwy. There is no way your coolant temp is at 200° with 94° oil Temps. EOT typically stays pretty close to the water Temps.

ja_cain

Reaction score
As far as CPS go my 7.3 loves the newest Motorcraft CPS which are typically 25$. Your EOT is screwy. There is no way your coolant temp is at 200° with 94° oil Temps. EOT typically stays pretty close to the water Temps.
Probably reporting oil temp in centigrade.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
Also have to get under the vc and check things out like o-ring seeping and watch injector spouts not running and running. Going to check the number 8 rockers and push rods as its the only cylinder failing the cct and with that slight thumping in the intake there may be a bent one there. I have others here so may just swap both rocker assemblies and push rods and see the results.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
One thing I did notice the last 2 weeks is there's one injector very noisy most of the time since they were installed but every once in a while lately it's super quiet and idless and runs alot better threw out. I run a cct test and only get number 8 all the time buy yet the other day I ran one when it was quiet and none came up. I'm thinking it's a sticky poppet or just a bad injector. The buzz test always come out good though. I believe my whole problem is in that number 8 injector. Rattle tick 98% of the time and lope idle when hot but one in a while quiet and smooth running.

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
One thing I did notice the last 2 weeks is there's one injector very noisy most of the time since they were installed but every once in a while lately it's super quiet and idless and runs alot better threw out. I run a cct test and only get number 8 all the time buy yet the other day I ran one when it was quiet and none came up. I'm thinking it's a sticky poppet or just a bad injector. The buzz test always come out good though. I believe my whole problem is in that number 8 injector. Rattle tick 98% of the time and lope idle when hot but one in a while quiet and smooth running.

Mine does this exact thing. It sounds like its the closest injector to the down pipe. I'm not sure what number that is. I pulled the valve cover and didn't notice anything out of place. All the injectors were spitting oil and the uvch is new. I upgraded mine to the super duty style and it made no difference. I had a buzz test done and it was all good. My injectors were rebuilt by rosewood 2 years ago. I have replaced all the sensors on the engine. I have noticed that it seems slightly better with 15-40 oil rather than 5-40 but it still isn't right.

I was driving one day and all a sudden it went quiet. I thought the truck died for a second it was so quiet. I drove it home and it sounded and felt great. It idled almost perfectly smooth. I shut it off and when I started it the next day it was loud again. It has never gone quiet again since that 1 time. I almost think its an injector issue but I don't know much about them or if that's possible. The truck has plenty of power and no smoke. Something is not right though. That much we can be sure of. Maybe I messed up an o ring during installation. I really don't know.

I will be following this thread. I hope you figure it out and i can follow in your footsteps. Good luck man.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
That's the same exact no noise at all that I encountered. I loved it that way and had more noticeable power. It idled so smooth and quiet I was amazed even going full throttle it sounded great. Then shut it off n next day restart and noise, noise, noise. It's starting to piss me off after 1700 dollars worth of injectors and atleast 2 of them sound worst then the originals with 257k miles on them when I pulled them.

Latest posts

Members online