Overdrive kicking out

Quinton

Reaction score
Hello, I've got a 97 7.3 all stock except for TS chip only ran on tune 3, 60 hp. Recently while in driving it will kickout of overdrive any any gear. I can hit the button but it will kick out a few miles later. Sometimes it will do it sometimes it won't. Any ideas? I've readthat flashing light means trans I believe? Mine doesn't flash. Also if I don't touch it sometimes it will go back to normal on its own.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand what you're telling us. Do you mean the OD OFF light will turn itself on or off without you pressing the button?

mandkole

Reaction score
There is no such thing as 'overdrive of every gear'. In normal operation, the e4od will shift to 3rd, then lock the converter in 3rd (feels like a shift), then shift to 4th (OD) while staying locked.

If you are backshifting from 4th to 3rd randomly and the OD light turns on, then upshifting with the light turning back off, Id check the trans harness wiring to see if there is a worn spot and its erratically grounding. Then, check the shifter lever switch and wiring too. Id also check for codes to see if there are any PCM detected issues (you didn't see flashing OD light so there may be nothing there).

Quinton

Reaction score
There is no such thing as 'overdrive of every gear'. In normal operation, the e4od will shift to 3rd, then lock the converter in 3rd (feels like a shift), then shift to 4th (OD) while staying locked.

If you are backshifting from 4th to 3rd randomly and the OD light turns on, then upshifting with the light turning back off, Id check the trans harness wiring to see if there is a worn spot and its erratically grounding. Then, check the shifter lever switch and wiring too. Id also check for codes to see if there are any PCM detected issues (you didn't see flashing OD light so there may be nothing there).

I know there is no such thing as overdrive in every gear. Lol. I meant like the light will turn on in all gears not one specific gear. Will also do it in park sometimes when I turn it on. I've unplugged the connector going to the shifter switch and it still does it. I'll check the harness any specific spots it may rub on these trucks?

Last edited:

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Yes, it often rubs through near the shifter connector. Check the six inches or so closest to where it plugs into the shift handle.

And 5th gear is really hard to get in these trucks. The transmission is only a four speed, not a five speed.

Quinton

Reaction score
Yes, it often rubs through near the shifter connector. Check the six inches or so closest to where it plugs into the shift handle.

And 5th gear is really hard to get in these trucks. The transmission is only a four speed, not a five speed.

Okay thanks I checked all underneath along frame to trans and looked good. I'll check that area tomorrow.

Sorry for some reason I thought they where 5 speeds. Now I know.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
So where should I check other than six inches from shifter cable? Everything looked fine in that area. I unplugged the connector going to shifter and it still would do it.
The wires inside the steering column where they connect to the shift handle are the problem 99% of the time. Disconnecting the shift handle doesn't prevent the problem from happening, if the wire shorts to ground even without the button plugged in you're going to have this happen.

Quinton

Reaction score
Bump. Replaced shifter and still does it. Checked wires from connection down column. Anyway I can completely disable overdrive off? I don't need it

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
When you say you checked the wiring down the column, was that a visual check or an electrical check? The only times I've seen the problem you're having has been from a wire shorting out making the PCM think that you've pressed the button.

Quinton

Reaction score
Visual. I pulled the wires from where it connects to shifter down out of the big wire loom that runs under dash. I've tried looking it up on all data for info but couldn't really find anything on it. When it kicks out of overdrive and I try to push the button on shifter it doesn't do anything now. I have to let it go back on its own. I'm not very good with electrical. Where would I need to ohm it from?

Last edited:

Quinton

Reaction score
Bump had a shop check wires and said they where okay. Had the issue this morning so unplugged the wires that connect shifter, touched the two outside prongs and it switched back to normal. Seems to kick it back like that but not with the button. But even then it still will mess up on me after a few miles or A day.

beach4x4ford

Reaction score
I had this same problem, occasionally it would jump in an out of over-drive. The light on the shift functioned as normal showing this transition while run 65mph. Eventually, the OD light came "ON" and would stay "ON" all the time. Replacing the shifter, OD wire harness, and OD button did not fix the issue. My fix was replacing the PCM. It appears the failing PCM had water get in it at one time (rust), so I place duct tape around the firewall connector on the engine side. So far no issues, hope this helps and good luck.

Latest posts