P163a code help

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Getting a p163a generator b control circuit code

Alternator is good batteries are charging no problem, I have heard broken wires cause the code anyone come across this issue battery light is driving me nuts

Thanks for the help

sisupower

Reaction score
There is several steps to checking voltage and good ground that you need to do. I can pull it up and send you pictures. But first look at the wiring at the connector for alternator, make sure there isn't any breaks or pins pushed out. Inspect it all the best you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisupower

Reaction score
3a47df3517c86e215ae1b0a1dc3ab31e.jpg
68a403bf7deea0747901d5359b9f98ef.jpg
b5ceb10d84a090fbca3fe67882c73cde.jpg
5745fe7114b73d5bb20738bf8733405c.jpg
4942956fb2b69f5149839fc43fc937ae.jpg
2ced07e199cc6066ebf869030bba4dff.jpg

There is the diagram for charging circuit. For single alternator. You have a short somewhere in here. Need to probably check the fuseable links and make sure they are ok. Hope this helps. If you need something else feel free to ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DieselDog

Reaction score
Most common cause we see is the yellow CDC09 has a small split in the insulation around the wire this will allow corrosion and damage wire. The circuit lines with the main B+ cable down and around the lower engine from passenger to driver side there is a location on the passenger side where the wire is routed at a 90 degrees bend to go up towards pcm. The bend is just below in front of engine mount just follow B+ cable you will see the bend, other location is just below waterpump driver side common at the bend and if water pump has been replaced sometimes the circuit will get cut or pinched during repairs. If you can pull on wire near those locations see if wire breaks if it does then just repair. it does not need to look the same you can route different just make sure it doesn't chafe or get caught in belt drive system. Best splice method is solder joint and if you can use marine heat shrink keeps moister out of the wire . Or fastest easiest way is to just overlay circuit from Generator pin 2 to the PCM pin 53.
If I remember tomorrow I wil download some pictures of locations to help with isolation of open in circuit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
only two months later, finally going to try and dig into this a little further tonight. few weeks ago i did dig in a little bit and couldnt find any please where the wire was split. Looks like we may just run another wire and be done with it.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
anyone else have insite on this code?....we have checked voltage through all the wires, could not find a break, replaced the alternator, still have the battery light with the battery charging as normal?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Have you hooked up to the truck with IDS to see what it is seeing for voltage?

04cr450

Reaction score
Sounds like your did all the correct diagnostics. What if this is just a simple idiot light issue in the gauge cluster and or a gauge cluster malfunction.
They constantly fail on the 05-07 my's

CATDiezel

Reaction score
You wouldnt happen to have a spare set of batteries you could swap in?

It almost sounds as if it has a high resistance on one of the batteries and it's causing a faulty reading back to the ecm.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
You would think if he had a whacky cell that it would show weak cold starting?

Well the starters on these trucks are so efficient a weak battery is hard to indicate... they have to be next to dead before the starter won't turn.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Well the starters on these trucks are so efficient a weak battery is hard to indicate... they have to be next to dead before the starter won't turn.

i can swap a set in and see if helps anything, but i do know my brothers 6.7 constantly was having battery issues, never set his battery light off, only reason i didnt think about batterys, but i will try that

CATDiezel

Reaction score
You have another option.

Flash truck back to stock. Unhook batteries and let it bleed internally.

Hok batteries back up after sometime. Throw battery charger on and flash tune back in.

Latest posts

Members online