Doing a 6.4 Rebuild

owenscountry

Reaction score
Had a piston melt in the number 8 cylinder and am going to tear down and redo the motor. Wanted to know if anybody had any Pistons suggestions. I would like to put something aftermarket in there that would hold up to Ford's overfueling issue. Would like to find a complete kit what gaskets and everything if anybody has any suggestions thanks

White_monster

Reaction score
Delipped ford or international HD pistons. Contact No Limit or Midwest Diesel and they will sort you out. While your there get a drop in atmo turbo for more air to use the extra fuel.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Maxxforce 7 HD pistions
OEM gaskets and bearings
New rockers, as they have common wear issues

Thats too start, the list can go on and on from here.

Companies stated above are great choices, I'd also give Brenton at side action diesel a call; he took good care of me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

btoler4th

Reaction score
I cracked a few of mine, borderline melted a few more, all with mild valve stamping. Went back with Mahle cut/delipped. So far so good. I'd vote Mike@ No Limit, or Rudy's. Mike will hands down give you the best customer service in the country.

sootie

Reaction score
just run the Maxxforce 7 pistons. They hold up great and dont haze at cold idle as bad as ford delipped ones. Getting good tuning will also help prolong your engine life as well as getting your injectors checked out for wear/sticking

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I cracked a few of mine, borderline melted a few more, all with mild valve stamping. Went back with Mahle cut/delipped. So far so good. I'd vote Mike@ No Limit, or Rudy's. Mike will hands down give you the best customer service in the country.
What pistons are you speaking of?

btoler4th

Reaction score
What pistons are you speaking of?

The ol'stockers. OP said he melted one- Instantly could relate to his pain. Sootie also brought up a great point on injectors. Half of mine were toast when it let go. Went back with 8 new to be on safe side.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
The ol'stockers. OP said he melted one- Instantly could relate to his pain. Sootie also brought up a great point on injectors. Half of mine were toast when it let go. Went back with 8 new to be on safe side.
Gotcha... I missed that part. Thought you were talking about the maxxforce which I just got so I was concerned. Haha

owenscountry

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's feedback. Was planning doing injectors as well. I know oem injectors tend to stick open and over fuel. Is there an injector that shuts down? Wouldn't that be better than over fueling?

sootie

Reaction score
if an injector sticks open, it usually melts the piston and hydrolocks the engine, bending rods etc. Its not like this "overfueling" you are speaking of happens on every stroke. If an injector hangs, you sure know it. Typically they hang because they have debris in them from the hpfp crapping out. Just go with new OEM units or Alliant remans with warranty.

owenscountry

Reaction score
if an injector sticks open, it usually melts the piston and hydrolocks the engine, bending rods etc. Its not like this "overfueling" you are speaking of happens on every stroke. If an injector hangs, you sure know it. Typically they hang because they have debris in them from the hpfp crapping out. Just go with new OEM units or Alliant remans with warranty.

That's the weird part of all this. Only 52 psi in cyl 8 but doesn't run bad. Intermittent white smoke. Shop also said they found coolant and fuel in the intercooler

sootie

Reaction score
I'd be quite leary of his competence with that type of info...

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
a factory injector sticking open isnt the most common of things, im sure there are more factory injectors that stick open then aftermarket considering there are prob 5000:1 ratio of factory injectors vs aftermarket

owenscountry

Reaction score
That's the problem with this thing. I have more ?'s than answers.lol. Was thinking of dropping a long block (reman) in it to do everything at once (shorter repair time). If I have the *** and ERG ******d, Can I trust this motor? I would rather keep OEM parts in it but would also like to drive with confidence. Thoughts appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online