Got the usual bottom left side radiator leak, any advice on bars leak or replacement?

1stock13

Reaction score
2013 6.7 122k and discovered the usual radiator leak down at the bottom left corner of the radiator. It's not more then a few drops when cooling off, but still annoying. Any advice on stop leaks, recalls? Or just replace with aftermarket? Any advice from experience would be good, tires of carrying a gallon of water around, thanks.

Reaction score
I changed mine out at 160k. I replaced with another stock radiator because I got it for around $560 and couldn't justify another $400 for the Mishimoto.

straggleweed

Reaction score
My 13 did the same at 88k or so back in December. I just swapped it out with a new stock radiator. It was in the high $500's from the dealer just like throttlejockey. Wasn't a bad job, I got it all apart by my self but had to get another set of hands to hold everything to get the new one back in place.

1stock13

Reaction score
I've heard mixed reviews on the aftermarket ones. Can the job be done with regular shop tools?

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
I've heard mixed reviews on the aftermarket ones. Can the job be done with regular shop tools?

Yes. I helped a friend do his 2012 that leaked, then the aftermarket mishimoto leaked not even 10k later and we had to do it all over again. We did it in 5 hours the first time, and 4 hours the second time. Im sure others could do it faster we just took our time. First time done in a shop, second we just did in the driveway. Don't need any sort of crazy tools at all.

1stock13

Reaction score
I believe mine is leaking from the secondary radiator, (rear radiator). What's the difference in the two? Is there a primary, and a secondary? Also, I've never "primed" a system, how difficult is that?

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
I'm not sure which is primary or secondary. But we tackled the rear one. As for priming we filled the system as much as we could and ran with the cap off and heat on blast. It burped once I believe and we refilled to proper level and it hasn't moved since
2c5bf5f1d92a2cc6b0696e170d915e3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1stock13

Reaction score
I'm not sure which is primary or secondary. But we tackled the rear one. As for priming we filled the system as much as we could and ran with the cap off and heat on blast. It burped once I believe and we refilled to proper level and it hasn't moved since
2c5bf5f1d92a2cc6b0696e170d915e3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My leak is coming from the rear radiator as well, from what I can tell that's the usual culprit. Looks like I have some time before I need to replace it. If it can be done by a shade tree mechanic, I may have a shot.

Lasvegas67

Reaction score
Had the same problem and installed the mishimoto. Good quality radiator, great warranty and great installation video. Did it in the driveway with an extra set of hands, some choice cuss words, and a few beers. Haven't had a problem since and pull 15k+ in hot Las Vegas. I've noticed it cools down faster as well. OI000003.jpg

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Had the same problem and installed the mishimoto. Good quality radiator, great warranty and great installation video. Did it in the driveway with an extra set of hands, some choice cuss words, and a few beers. Haven't had a problem since and pull 15k+ in hot Las Vegas. I've noticed it cools down faster as well. View attachment 47093
Why did you remove the bumper?

Lasvegas67

Reaction score
Low on bumper fluid, had to change it.......or took the front and back to get powder coated black. Unrelated to the radiator swap. She was naked for a little while there.

1stock13

Reaction score
I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this, but as crappy as the oem radiator is, why not try an eBay aftermarket replacement? Can't be much worse and they have them for 300.00 shipped.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this, but as crappy as the oem radiator is, why not try an eBay aftermarket replacement? Can't be much worse and they have them for 300.00 shipped.
never know man.. you can be the first to try it..

I had the leaking radiator too.. swapped it out early December with 86k on her for the mishi replacement.. first one came damaged and had to send it back and the second one was an updated version with rubber grommets that screw into the side posts where it is held on with the bushing around it.. way more flexible that way..

now 10k later, I just had a new water pump put in it...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
The OEM has a 2 yr unlimited miles warranty.Isn't that worth it?

1stock13

Reaction score
The OEM has a 2 yr unlimited miles warranty.Isn't that worth it?

yea, for that piece of mind it is. I may have the truck sold at the end of the week tho, to be honest, this and the clock spring randomly failing have sort of turned me off about the truck, I love it but I also love seeing money stay in my bank account.

Latest posts

Members online