Hydroboost issues

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I have an 01, it's lifted with 38's and a redhead box, probably wore out pump, but my question is when I turn the wheel, the brake pedal goes down as well and the steering is way hard sometimes..

So do I need a new hydroboost? Better to go new, rebuild it myself or get a "ported" one?

Arisley

Reaction score
Since the issue is happening with steering and brakes, I would start with doing a power steering fluid change, make sure you bleed it really good. If that doesn't do it, change the pump.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I flushed it really well a couple of months ago when I fixed a leak, the pressure into the hydroboost from the pump..

It doesn't seem like it's a pressure issue honestly, sometimes it turns just fine.. but it recently started doing the pedal thing, and that's when the steering is hard and won't move

Reaction score
Is it really hard to steer with foot on brake? Release the brake (this is in park of course) and rev it up a little, see if it gets easier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

boggerr

Reaction score
Just went through something similar on my 08. Steering was hard and brake pedal would be hard after slowing down from highway speed which is so much fun when you have no steering or brakes getting off an exit. Replaced the pump and all is good. Mine only did it once in awhile, I vote for pump also.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
Ok.. the reason I wasn't thinking it was the pump is the brake pedal physically moves when I turn the steering wheel, as if I'm applying the brakes, probably moves a couple of inches

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
The reason the brakes and steering go stiff is like stated:
A) return line restriction means the pump can't flow fluid properly causing manual steering and brakes.
B) The pump itself is wore out and can't generate the flow/pressure required to meet the demands of both steering and braking at once.

I've had the same symptom for a while, it only happens once in a blue moon. I will be replacing all lines (they are all starting to seep) and the pump, heck, probably the gear box too...

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
Ok I'll flush the lines and inspect them.. anyone actually ever swap a saginaw pump in with any success?

If your gonna replace the steering box, I highly recommend the redhead box

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online