2017 HP drop in F550 vs F350

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Hey fellas my good buddy is looking to move up from his 350 duramax to a new F550 cab and chassis for his business..

He texted me last night and tells me the F350 is coming in around 440hp and the F550 cab and chassis is dumbed down to around 350hp.

He wanted to know how and why they do this; he figures it's due to the mfgr expecting lots of heavy tow loads... I said I'd see what yall have to say...
Thanks...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

powerstroked08

Reaction score
They are 330 hp 750 tq vs 440 hp and 925 tq. We have a 17 550 at work. Truck runs good but it's a rough ride when empty. And they are anticipating your going to be loaded all of the time putting a bunch of stress on the truck as a whole (sustained higher gets and whatnot)

Last edited:

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I believe if you get a f450 with a box you will get the 440/925 vs. a cab and chassis that will get detuned to 330/750. All while still having the big payload capacity.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Ok.. gotcha... so same turbo and all that jazz?
I should have just texted you haha.. but figured I'd give you a break.

Last edited:

powerstroked08

Reaction score
The turbo housing has changed from 2016. But as far as any size changes I'm not positive. I've heard rumors that the single sequential turbo is back and also that it isn't. But I don't know for sure.

colo_dually

Reaction score
Hey fellas my good buddy is looking to move up from his 350 duramax to a new F550 cab and chassis for his business..

He texted me last night and tells me the F350 is coming in around 440hp and the F550 cab and chassis is dumbed down to around 350hp.

He wanted to know how and why they do this; he figures it's due to the mfgr expecting lots of heavy tow loads... I said I'd see what yall have to say...
Thanks...

The F450/F550 C&C trucks have been rated at lower HP/TOR since the days of the 6.0L. The commercial market needs a more reliable power source than the market argueing HP/TOR numbers in the class 2 and 3 trucks. Hence the lower HP to displacement. With the 4.30 / 4.88 gears, and the full working loads these trucks are rated for, the higher HP would only lead to higher EGT and more wear on the trucks.

I believe if you get a f450 with a box you will get the 440/925 vs. a cab and chassis that will get detuned to 330/750. All while still having the big payload capacity.

The F450 Pickup is still a class 3 truck for registration, same as Dodge has done with their newer 3500DRW. The F450 pickup has gone back to commerical 19.5" tires and the larger brakes though over the F350.

gnxtc2

Reaction score

Thanks...

The F450/F550 C&C trucks have been rated at lower HP/TOR since the days of the 6.0L. The commercial market needs a more reliable power source than the market argueing HP/TOR numbers in the class 2 and 3 trucks. Hence the lower HP to displacement. With the 4.30 / 4.88 gears, and the full working loads these trucks are rated for, the higher HP would only lead to higher EGT and more wear on the trucks.

The F450 Pickup is still a class 3 truck for registration, same as Dodge has done with their newer 3500DRW. The F450 pickup has gone back to commerical 19.5" tires and the larger brakes though over the F350.

The F450 pickup has the 19.5 wheels.

The F450 pickup has the wider frame as the regular F-Series trucks.

The F450/F550 C&C has a narrower rear frame section and rear axle for body fitment.

So if your friend is thinking about going with a F450 pickup and putting a body on it, make sure the body is going to fit the wider frame/axle.

Billy T.
[email protected]

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Appricate the responses fellas...

He has an excavation company and tows equipment alot so is looking to maximise his capabilitys..
I'm passing all this along to him...

He's had all the major 3 brands and iv never not seen him in a diesel. He thinks they are all junk after a couple years and only keeps them till the warrenty is up so he does not get stuck with problems he has to pay for.
Great guy though so figured I'd see if I could get any insight...