Rear Diff

Arisley

Reaction score
Heard a popping noise in the rear when turning a corner.

Got home, hoping it was something in the brakes (didn't think so, but still hoping). It wasn't, so I jerked the axles (had to use a slide hammer to pop them loose. Pulled the cover, everything looked normal. Pulled the carrier, and popped it apart.

Found this:
IMG_09621.jpg

By any chance, does anybody have a Dana 80 carrier with bad ring gear and good internals laying around.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
I can really feel sumthin going on when I have a trailer behind me. Empty its a slight "bump" that I feel only when turning. Wonder if its my spiders as well. Just rolled 200K

Recently bought a front clip off an 05 and the rear axle with suspension. I got lucky on the timing for sure. Ill be doing the rear axle sooner than I though to hopefully avoid this situation.

Arisley

Reaction score
No clue. I got it all welded up yesterday. No chirping the tires in turns.

Apparently, when I welded it, I got one side gear a touch crooked. Could only get one axle in. I fabbed up a cover plate with a piece of 1/8 inch steel I had laying around to cover where the axle goes. I now have a for real two wheel drive. Two wheels on the same side of the truck.

mandkole

Reaction score
I can really feel sumthin going on when I have a trailer behind me. Empty its a slight "bump" that I feel only when turning. Wonder if its my spiders as well. Just rolled 200K

Recently bought a front clip off an 05 and the rear axle with suspension. I got lucky on the timing for sure. Ill be doing the rear axle sooner than I though to hopefully avoid this situation.

In both trucks, the LS clutches could get a little cranky when the fluid is hot. Its most noticeable when trailer towing and they will exhibit a little chattering in turns. Eventually a trutrac will fix this issue.

Latest posts

Members online