Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.7 Tech

Old 06-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Default Restrictions from mufflers

Does anyone have any real world data backing up what they gained/lost by adding or removing a muffler to one of these pickups. I'm just wondering if I am living in fairy tale land thinking I should have a muffler on mine.

It's a 2014, 363sxe, dual fuelers, MPD piping kit, etc.

It has 5in exhaust and the drone when towing after the sxe swap was unbelievably unbearable. So I threw on a 48in donaldson muffler, it's a big pig.

My mileage has always been ****, and EGTs seem higher than others with my comparable setup, and just overall just seems to run hotter than it should.

Doesn't feel like a loss of power, it's an absolute animal and is a blast to drive, just wondering if I'm leaving a ton of mileage and heat loss on the table by running this muffler?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Compounds are the best muffler. Does your muffler have a diffuser or it it straight through?
Old 06-11-2019, 08:21 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydime View Post
Compounds are the best muffler. Does your muffler have a diffuser or it it straight through?
I wish I could afford a 4k muffler right now. Haha

It's got a diffuser of sorts. It's got slots cut in the side, and in the center it crushes down to nothing to force it through the packing in the sides.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Like this.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:26 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

All the big truck mufflers I have ran were straight through with no diffuser.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydime View Post
All the big truck mufflers I have ran were straight through with no diffuser.
These are the ones we ran on semis when I worked at CAT.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:04 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

That seems like it would be pretty restrictive. I put on a 42” and it was straight through and the inside of the pipe kinda resembled a cheese grater. It is a lot quieter, but still louder than stock.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:21 AM
General
Member's Gallery

I wish i ran an egt gauge. It might be due to others doing what i ended up doing on comparable rigs that didnt show anything to be concerned about on a dyno run heat wise but i put a resonator in front of a 40" Donaldson and going down the road it is quiet as a stock setup and all you hear is the turbo whistle when accelerating. At idle or mall crawl speeds it is still a little louder with a nice rumble. My muffler is basically a straight through with cheese grader looking holes but there is a section cut out of the center that is completely open. Probably 8 inches or so.

I would think that the style that 08monster put on would be more restrictive due to the design but it is the style what goes on big tucks. But with that said, there are a gazillion lil holes for it to go through.

Did you notice a egt change when adding it?

Any sort of turbulence in the exhaust stream is considered a restriction in my book but if it isnt a noticeable restriction and the end result is how you wanted it then rock on!

live life full throttle
Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnlocker View Post
I wish i ran an egt gauge. It might be due to others doing what i ended up doing on comparable rigs that didnt show anything to be concerned about on a dyno run heat wise but i put a resonator in front of a 40" Donaldson and going down the road it is quiet as a stock setup and all you hear is the turbo whistle when accelerating. At idle or mall crawl speeds it is still a little louder with a nice rumble. My muffler is basically a straight through with cheese grader looking holes but there is a section cut out of the center that is completely open. Probably 8 inches or so.

I would think that the style that 08monster put on would be more restrictive due to the design but it is the style what goes on big tucks. But with that said, there are a gazillion lil holes for it to go through.

Did you notice a egt change when adding it?

Any sort of turbulence in the exhaust stream is considered a restriction in my book but if it isnt a noticeable restriction and the end result is how you wanted it then rock on!

live life full throttle
I wish I would have paid attention when I put it on, but I didn't ever take note of EGTs before and after. Until recently when I'm pulling and it's fairly warm out, I'm running about 1000 degrees constant on the flat doing 72 in 6th. That being said, I can drop to 5th and go to 750 degrees, but than my mileage is like 6mpg.

I can pull a hill and it only gets to about 11-1150 for EGTs so it's not like I'm in the danger zone yet. Just hotter than I would like and the mileage is awful. Pulling 7k at 72 I'm only getting about 8mpg. Might as well run a 6.2 gasser.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Monster View Post
I wish I would have paid attention when I put it on, but I didn't ever take note of EGTs before and after. Until recently when I'm pulling and it's fairly warm out, I'm running about 1000 degrees constant on the flat doing 72 in 6th. That being said, I can drop to 5th and go to 750 degrees, but than my mileage is like 6mpg.

I can pull a hill and it only gets to about 11-1150 for EGTs so it's not like I'm in the danger zone yet. Just hotter than I would like and the mileage is awful. Pulling 7k at 72 I'm only getting about 8mpg. Might as well run a 6.2 gasser.

Have you ever pulled the same load prior to now?

live life full throttle