Loud Pop under throttle... No boost?

KingRanch6.4

Reaction score
Thinking hose from something inline from CAC or turbo. Sounded like a balloon pop or a gunshot then no boost registered.

I can here at least one of the turbos spooling, whining, but zero registered on the gauge and no power while EGT shot up.

About to go out and look. Any typical points of fail on the 6.4 I should be looking first?

Thanks guys and Happy Easter!

protronics00

Reaction score
I'm not real familiar with 6.4 but when that happens on my 6.0 it's one of my turbo boots. You probably need to take it off clean it then borrow your wife's hairspray. Make sure there is no oil on it then give it a light coat of hairspray (end of the tube) then reattach after about 30-45 seconds. Make sure you don't over torque just in case some of your tubes are plastic they will crack.

KingRanch6.4

Reaction score
Yep... Bottom of CAC.
Torqued it down. Still blowing off under minimal boost ~20 lbs.
Any reason for this? Could there be a blockage anywhere preventing passage?

KingRanch6.4

Reaction score
It was quite oily... Cleaned inside of boot with rag and the piping. Mishimoto CAC.
I just want to make sure there isn't anything mechanical or some sort of blockage I need to check before I go purchase a beefy clamp to remedy this. The clamp on there is new that came with kit I believe but it is as tight as can go as isn't doing the job.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Pull the boot and pipe off and clean very well. Could even spray some hairspray on both then reinstall and torque down tight. I had the same thing happen to me. I did end up getting a longer boot though.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
look at the end of the ic pipe. eventually the end will start to "cave in" slightly. this is either caused by time, or tightening the clamps to tight.

you can take a pair of pliers and bend the end of the pipe back out. i bent mine slightly farther out than straight to kinda simulate a bead rolled end of the pipe.

take boot completely off. wipe out all oil. wipe end of pipe out, and off. take carb cleaner spray end of pipe, wipe off. spray inside of boot. wipe out.

take your wifes hairspray and spray end of pipe. reinstall boot, and tighten clamp. let it sit for 15-20 mins.

drive, be happy.

the hairspray acts like glue to greatly assist the clamps to hold the boots on. but yet, will let you still take the boots off if needed.

nothing will work, unless you check to make sure the end of your pipe is not starting to collapse. this is normal with time, simply bend it back out, its just one of those things you need to check now that you had a issue.

Last edited:

BFT

Reaction score
Most likely have to get a new boot., the oil starts to break down the inside layer of the boot. Good way to rid of the oil is a CCV mod

dsberman94

Reaction score
Is that clamp bigger than any of the others? Happened when we ordered boots before that two clamps were bigger and they had to go in a certain area.

KingRanch6.4

Reaction score
Update:
Cleaned boot and plumbing. Hairspray applied. And for security added another clamp that allowed me to torque it down.

Problem here is that I'm running a FoMoCo stock boot and a Mish CAC. The CAC lower inlet doesn't have the same lip that the stocker had and therefore allows the boot to slip past the retainer while under heavy boost. And these High Tech quick spool compounds def do the job.

I'll have to research to find an aftermarket fitment that addresses this, as I'm sure I'm not the first that's experienced it.

Thanks for all the help guys! Saved my a$$

cranstol

Reaction score
Saved me!

Sometimes Google and forums like this save the day. I was 175 miles from home for the weekend. Was fighting big city traffic when "POP!" followed by a sudden loss of power. Managed to limp my truck to my meeting. After the meeting, I did not see anything wrong, but the truck was certainly not right.

I found this thread the next morning. Upon further inspection in better light, the intercooler coupling under the radiator reservoir had blown ("POP!") loose. No tools since I was out of town, but managed to drive down to Harbor Freight for a $17.77 investment in tools. All fixed and made it home.

"Old" threads can be very useful! Thanks to the original poster and responders!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Sometimes Google and forums like this save the day. I was 175 miles from home for the weekend. Was fighting big city traffic when "POP!" followed by a sudden loss of power. Managed to limp my truck to my meeting. After the meeting, I did not see anything wrong, but the truck was certainly not right.

I found this thread the next morning. Upon further inspection in better light, the intercooler coupling under the radiator reservoir had blown ("POP!") loose. No tools since I was out of town, but managed to drive down to Harbor Freight for a $17.77 investment in tools. All fixed and made it home.

"Old" threads can be very useful! Thanks to the original poster and responders!
Holy hell... major thread revival! Im glad you got it fixed up with the help of the forum. Welcome to PSA man! Great 1st post!

live life full throttle