Steering Gear Issues [Solved]

Reaction score
If I had to rate the improvement/change per modification to the steering/suspension - this would be at the top of the list:

1. 2016 steering gear
2. OUO ALAs
3. Traction blocks.

I hope that helps put things into perspective.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Theres a reason the box costs so much. Its not junk like the 600$ turds on the 99-04 stuff. I realize the deficiency in the boxes but ive never had the issues others do. If I wasnnt running around on 36-40x 14.5&15.50 on 12 wides from 00-09 my stock box would still be on mine.

I like the idea of the oem box over the redhead as thry arent a one and done type deal. They should be however for what they cost.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I'm not complaining about the price, just posting up for others.

I plan to order on once I get back to working on my Ex. Just gotta get these 6.0 out of my shop first.

Spectre32

Reaction score
There was a change in 2008, so unless there is another change, this gearbox would be the same. Precision, did you look at the two boxes side by side? I went to rock auto and can get a A1 Cardone for about 400 and a motocraft one is 1100, both are reman.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
There was a change in 2008, so unless there is another change, this gearbox would be the same. Precision, did you look at the two boxes side by side? I went to rock auto and can get a A1 Cardone for about 400 and a motocraft one is 1100, both are reman.

The prefix would suggest it's a later part. The 08-10 boxes were 8C3Z iirc.

Spectre32

Reaction score
Ok, cause on rock auto this is what they have....

MOTORCRAFT STG285 {#7C3Z3504BA, 8C3Z3504B, STG278}

Reaction score
Yes. I had taken side-by-side photos with intentions of posting them here. Unfortunately, I lost the photos.

The 2016 box is visually larger. You don't even need to see it next to the other box to notice; bluntly obvious. I noticed just laying underneath the 2016 and looking at the box installed. That is what led to the experiment of swapping the boxes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Highroller54

Reaction score
Interesting, my box on my 2009 f350 is junk. Always has been, try to adjust it and it gets tight when turning left but still loose in the middle. I want to try this as well.

Jomax

Reaction score
So anyone bolt this onto a pre 2008 truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I'd like to know this also.

I'll be going to ford and opening a 2007 box and 2015. The only thing that doesn't look like it'll fit, is the steering shaft coming from the steering wheel, it seems the way it attaches to the box is different.

I'm on box number 3 from redhead. If this third one is crap, I'll be looking into figuring out how to mount a 2015 box if box number 3 isn't perfect. Redhead said it will not work at ALL. But looking under my 2015, mounting points are the same, Pitman arm placement is the same. Biggest difference is the size, but I'm certain it'll fit.

All I have left to check is the connectors for the lines and the mounting point for the steering shaft for the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles

Reaction score
Is there any updated info on this? I was talking to Redhead last night trying to figure out info about breaks on steering boxes for a Superduty in order to get a larger sector shaft (I can't keep a pitman arm tight on any 99-04 I've ever owned) and when I asked about piston sizes and he said the 10+ had a larger piston that peaked my interest..... which would explain the reduced steering effort being reported here.

If I'm going to be changing things up, might as well go to a 16 box. Anybody know about port sizes or input shaft sizes? A welder and a drill can take care of the rest.

Reaction score
Is there any updated info on this? I was talking to Redhead last night trying to figure out info about breaks on steering boxes for a Superduty in order to get a larger sector shaft (I can't keep a pitman arm tight on any 99-04 I've ever owned) and when I asked about piston sizes and he said the 10+ had a larger piston that peaked my interest..... which would explain the reduced steering effort being reported here.

If I'm going to be changing things up, might as well go to a 16 box. Anybody know about port sizes or input shaft sizes? A welder and a drill can take care of the rest.

Some good info here: http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77149.

My reading of the cumulative comments within both of these threads is that it can be done. I believe, Jomax has put a 2007 box in his older truck. And, I have put a 2016 box in my 2010.

I didn't need to swap any extra parts: unbolt one box, bolt the other one in, and tweak supply and return lines a tiny bit with a tubing bender (or your hand if you don't have one).

GregW

Reaction score
Some good info here: http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77149.

My reading of the cumulative comments within both of these threads is that it can be done. I believe, Jomax has put a 2007 box in his older truck. And, I have put a 2016 box in my 2010.

I didn't need to swap any extra parts: unbolt one box, bolt the other one in, and tweak supply and return lines a tiny bit with a tubing bender (or your hand if you don't have one).

Do you remember if the input shaft on the 2016 box was splined? Using pictures from RedHead's site for reference (can't find many detailed pics online), the 2008-2010 box should have the same shaft as the 2016 (non splined - https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/product/2008-2010-ford-f-250-and-f-350-superduty-steering-gear/), but my job 1 2008 has a splined shaft like the 2005-2007 boxes (https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/product/2005-2007-ford-f-250-and-f-350-superduty-steering-gear/).

Reaction score
Do you remember if the input shaft on the 2016 box was splined? Using pictures from RedHead's site for reference (can't find many detailed pics online), the 2008-2010 box should have the same shaft as the 2016 (non splined - https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/product/2008-2010-ford-f-250-and-f-350-superduty-steering-gear/), but my job 1 2008 has a splined shaft like the 2005-2007 boxes (https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/product/2005-2007-ford-f-250-and-f-350-superduty-steering-gear/).
I don't remember whether it was splined, but i do remember that the coupling design was the same.

I can pull the fender liner and take picture if you'd like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online