Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 7.3 Aftermarket

Old 01-13-2020, 09:59 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I guess I'm leaning towards ordering a 364.5 unless someone comes in with new info. Would love to see a dyno comparison between the 2.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:14 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
I guess I'm leaning towards ordering a 364.5 unless someone comes in with new info. Would love to see a dyno comparison between the 2.
I’d call the guys at KC turbos they should have comparative data I’m thinking. Thought there was a post on here about both turbos on same truck for dyno data and real world towing anecdotal info. Will be interested in what you experience Freddie, keep us posted. For now I’ve just rebuilt my stoker with KC internals (their exhaust wheel, shaft 360 bearing kit and 1.0 A/R) and think it was a billet 6x6 intake wheel from Clay at RiffRaff. With newly installed FFD205/30s and Jelibuilt files spools up quick, will be interesting to see how long it can take it. I’m guessing I’ll be chewing on similar issue so will be good to know how you make out.
Cheers,
j
'97 F250 ECLB Tan White Tan Now ZF5 , 4:10s, D60, PMF 3.5 RSK, 37 Toyo RTs Anti sways front/rear w rear bags 5 blocks (184,000 Kms) DP, intake and 4 exhaust, FFD 205/30s, Hydra, E fuel.
Truck pix & Write ups

Last edited by JCart; 01-13-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:39 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Thank you for the input. I called and talked it over with Irate also, and they too suggested the 364.5 so I ordered one.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:46 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Thank you for the input. I called and talked it over with Irate also, and they too suggested the 364.5 so I ordered one.

Did you get the big one or little one?
Old 01-15-2020, 11:54 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I got the 364.5/74/.91
Old 01-15-2020, 07:17 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

The 364.5 is a great turbo for most normal uses. FWIW, the little one is more responsive and drives great with small injectors.

S364.5 SXE, PIS 175/80, T500, RR billet plenums, Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs, S&B Intake kit, PHP Hydra, CNC HPOP lines & Quad fuel feed, 6.0 cooler, Built trans & Billet converter, Warn hubs, TrueTrac, PMF traction bars, Flo-Pro 4" exhaust, H&H tank mod.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:51 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

any updates? What are your thoughts?

I was running a 369 SXE with my 250/100s which was recommended by 1023 but Matt at Irate recommended the 366 SXE since I live around 6500' in elevation and can get to 9000+ in short time. I got TMCCOY's 366 SXE (Thanks again).

The 369 is fun but laggy and i don't like it for towing with my 35's and 410's. I have found ways to still get off the line ok without the lag but I feel that I should be able to punch it and have very minimal lag (not going to happen with these turbos/my setup)

I just installed the 366 the other day so i will have to get some time before I can make any decisions. I can say it spools a tiny bit faster and seems more responsive from 55/60 mph up as well during normal driving. I probably won't be able to tow with it for a little while.

From what I've been reading, It seems like the 364.5 is an excellent turbo and I want to pick one up to try as well. Playing with these turbos will also help in my decision of what to use in my 76 project that has a zf6 rather than auto.

anyway, hope you are liking the turbo. I think you made a good decision for your use

PHP/Beans, 1023, SDK, GH tuned, 250/100 FF inj's, Irate t4 w/S369SXE, Swamps hvhf IDM, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system w/RR/fuel bowl gone,
Autometer Nexus Guages (TT,FP,BP,EGT), 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line, Donaldson Blue(6637)/AFE BHAF, RR Boots, 26 row 6.0 Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Denso Starter
Old 07-29-2020, 10:32 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Thought I'd follow up with an update.

SDK Tunes (have not asked for any revisions YET)
I still have 3.55 gears with 35s.
I have checked for boost leaks and feel confident that there are none - there were some originally but I have found and fixed them. Even checked with soapy water and I can't find any bubbles.
I did find that my driver's manifold/up-pipe connection leaked, it had soot showing a leak, so I snugged that up.

Truck is a blast to drive IF the turbo is lit. It seems really easy to get under the turbo though, and even unloaded in overdrive at 50-55mph, ~1400 RPMS, it just doesn't seem to hold any boost unless you are manipulating the throttle to build some. Pulling a 5k trailer through some rolling 55-60mph hills, I had to shift out of OD to keep from smoking, just because the turbo would not stay lit. It was right on the edge of lighting the turbo or getting smoky, and I end up driving watching the passenger mirror for smoke. I want/expected a lot better driveability than that.

If you roll into it to get the turbo lit or downshift, it does spool extremely quickly to build boost.

At this point I really want to regear. I was set on 4.10s, but I am also contemplating a change in tire size. Wife and I want to buy a truck camper and tow decent size fiberglass boat - for stability sake I think it is best to drop down a few tire sizes and run a tire with higher rating too.

Anyways, if I stay with 35" tires, I think 4.10s would be perfect. But if I drop to a 33", not sure whether to go with 3.73 or 4.10 gears, and I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are. I already have the 4.10 gear sets for the change, but would need to buy 3.73 gearsets if going that route.

I am leaning towards 4.10 gears unless someone is going to talk me out of it. I added an attachment that shows some RPM calculations based on different gear ratios and tire sizes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RPM.jpg (108.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-29-2020, 11:32 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

I personally have had the 35s and 4.10s as well as the 33s and 3.73s. They run within about 50 rpm of one another and imho its the best dd/towing setup for a 7.3 auto. At cruising speeds (70 mph), youre into the power curve at that point and not under it. But not too much into it that mileage suffers empty. But far enough Into it that if you ask it for more when towing, youll get a response immediately.

It comes down to what you want for looks/height and use. Either is a great combo.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:17 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Truck is a blast to drive IF the turbo is lit. It seems really easy to get under the turbo though, and even unloaded in overdrive at 50-55mph, ~1400 RPMS, it just doesn't seem to hold any boost unless you are manipulating the throttle to build some. Pulling a 5k trailer through some rolling 55-60mph hills, I had to shift out of OD to keep from smoking, just because the turbo would not stay lit. It was right on the edge of lighting the turbo or getting smoky, and I end up driving watching the passenger mirror for smoke. I want/expected a lot better driveability than that.

Sounds just like my 97 CCSB 4x4 with 3:55s (35” tires) and Auto tranny.... under the turbo... (stock turbo mind you). Went to 1.0 exhaust side and can think the .91 would be even better. Felt like I was either on the fuel for boost... on the brakes or coasting with the auto. Swapped to ZF-5, so much nicer. Current truck in sig is nicer 4:10s 37” tires with ZF. FFD 205/30s and Jelibuilt tunes sparked it right up. Thinking 364.5 with .91 would be beauties... for what I do.

Thanks for up dates fellas.. cheers stay safe.
'97 F250 ECLB Tan White Tan Now ZF5 , 4:10s, D60, PMF 3.5 RSK, 37 Toyo RTs Anti sways front/rear w rear bags 5 blocks (184,000 Kms) DP, intake and 4 exhaust, FFD 205/30s, Hydra, E fuel.
Truck pix & Write ups

Last edited by JCart; 07-29-2020 at 08:21 PM.