Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 7.3 Tech

Old 01-12-2020, 08:43 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Default Frustrated with Transmission rebuild , Help

, Iíve rebuilt this transmission once before and didnít have any problems , so 2 weeks ago I decided to freshen it up , after tear down, the intermediate and overdrive clutches had a some hot spots but nothing major wrong . I replaced those and checked all others . I got ready to put the pump back in a decided to change the bushing , I screwed up as I was working in my dim lighted shop , I knocked the bushing out the wrong way and busted that lip off the bushing stop or what ever itís called , so I had a spare pump and robbed that outer half , I also changed the stator tube , I made sure it was a 4R100 stator tube pump half but for gas burner ! , I bought a new converter from the Ford Dealer Also , now the trans had soft shifts , so I pulled it again , OD clutched burned , I thought there was a problem with the pump from changing the half and stator tube , I once again replaced clutches and bought a new reman pump , this is when I put the one way clutch in backwards , I got that fixed and now the trans still has soft shifts , OD is the worse slide bang from feels like low pressure , so I replaced the solenoid pack , same issue .
So Iím wondering if the converter could be the problem even though itís new , or is that even possible., any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:15 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Default Trans pressure

Idle and neutral 60psi
Reverse 85 psi
OD 60 psi
2 60 psi
95 psi
At stall speed
Reverse 275 psi
OD 165 psi
2 165 psi
1 170 psi
On the interstate driving 60 mph if I go to the floor with the pedal it shifts down and when it shifts back up it hits 170 on the OD shift
Old 01-18-2020, 09:10 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

You need Mike Kovalasky he is Former Ford trans engineer on here or the nation.
Diesel Mechanic 40 yrs
Now 120 truck Fleet, 80 plus CNG powered
Old 01-18-2020, 09:34 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

The pressures look good. The converter can't cause soft shifts.

Does it have a tune? That can cause soft shifts.

ďThe good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.Ē ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 01-26-2020, 04:42 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Update on on this , transmission is fixed , problem was the outer seal in the forward clutch drum , it it air checked as good as any I’ve done . All pressures looked good