Shocks

3brorce

Reaction score
Looking into some new/diff shocks. I believe I have it narrowed down to bilstein 5100s, fox 2.0s(no reservoir) or rancho9000s. Truck is a supercab leveled f250 mainly a street queen. Looking for best ride quality, durability, cut down on wheel hop etc. What do you guys think?

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Fox 2.0 will be softer and smoother, bilstein 5100 will be stiffer and tighter... Don't buy the ranchos

3brorce

Reaction score
Fox 2.0 will be softer and smoother, bilstein 5100 will be stiffer and tighter... Don't buy the ranchos

Thanks. Odd question but MixNmatch front and backs or get all 4 the same all around? Which setup would you got with?

Last edited:

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Thanks. Odd question but MixNmatch front and backs or get all 4 the same all around? Which setup would you got with?

Personally out of the 2 I like fox, as I prefer the softer smoother ride.

The bilstein to "tight/harsh" for lack of a better term. Some people call it controlled but I have had nothing but good results and great reviews from any customer ive ever sold fox shocks to.

sootie

Reaction score
the only bad thing about the ranchos is that they wear out quicker, its not like they are a terrible shock. the good thing about them is the adjustablility. with just a spin of a knob you can go from a smooth road ride to a stiff front end for pulling.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Fox shocks will have a better ride quality, most of the lifts that we do get fox shock upgrades. The bilstiens are a good shock if you need something a little more firm..

3brorce

Reaction score
with just a spin of a knob you can go from a smooth road ride to a stiff front end for pulling.

This is how the rancho's made it on the list. I originially had just the 5100s or 2.0s. I dont expect shocks to fully cure wheel hop but they should correct? A little price diff from 2.0s to 5100s.

3brorce

Reaction score
This is how the rancho's made it on the list. I originially had just the 5100s or 2.0s. I dont expect shocks to fully cure wheel hop but they should helpcorrect? A little price diff from 2.0s to 5100s.

Forgot a word in last post. ^^ Yeah dual shocks arent going to happen. Up in the air with a 4link or shocks or which to do first of the two.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Forgot a word in last post. ^^ Yeah dual shocks arent going to happen. Up in the air with a 4link or shocks or which to do first of the two.

Don't do twin shocks. That's a bandaid for poor valving.

The price difference between the 2.0 and 5100 is minimal.

Shocks will give you the better ride. The 4 link is not going to make anything feel smoother or more controlled with worn out shocks still on the vehicle.

I have it posted in another shock thread on here,

Good rule of thumb

firm/tight----soft/spongy
5100-5160-2.0-2.0 resi

The bilsteins are valves with more rebound and it does cause the shock to be a bit stiffer when the truck has no weight in it. That being said, they are still a good shock for the price. It all comes down to ride preference.

Last edited:

sniper_101

Reaction score
Get all four the same. Different valving could really bite ya in the ass.

How so?

Lighter rear half of the truck combined with stiffer springs on the rear, I would think a softer/faster damping shock in the rear would be a (slight) aid to ride comfort.

Not starting a pissing match, I'm wondering if there is something I'm overlooking on the subject.

I have 5100's all-around, but have been considering the softer Fox 2.0's for the rear to soften up the harsh ride from the back end.

3brorce

Reaction score
That is what I was thinking as well. 5100s up front and 2.0s on the rear perhaps.

3brorce

Reaction score
Walker Evans are awesome. Quality like Fox but without that price tag. All they need are the extended and collapsed length.

Have walker evans on a couple snowmobiles. Maybe I will look into them.

Look good.

Last edited:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
How so?

Lighter rear half of the truck combined with stiffer springs on the rear, I would think a softer/faster damping shock in the rear would be a (slight) aid to ride comfort.

Not starting a pissing match, I'm wondering if there is something I'm overlooking on the subject.

I have 5100's all-around, but have been considering the softer Fox 2.0's for the rear to soften up the harsh ride from the back end.

Yeah that's why I said "could". In my personal experience, it's never worked out for me. Not saying it can't or won't but I think it would take some homework. Maybe with the more exspensive shocks it's not a worry, I know with rancho's it was

Latest posts

Members online