Low ICP help

pungohboy

Reaction score
I have a 2002 F350 with 264k miles that i have been troubleshooting an issue with poor performance. It is stock with an intake 4 inch down pipe and 5 inch exhaust Hutch & Harpoon mod no programmer or chip but had superchip tune when i bought it i returned it to stock and sold that. Also had 10k resistor mod when i bought it but it has been disconnected.

About 6 months ago i could do a 0-60 run and would get a CEL P1211 and and my ICP would be 2k+, lately i have been watching it and it is getting worse. I tried to do a 0-60 today leaving a stoplight and gave up when the ICP went down to 800ish. i have attached 2 data logs one was from October 0-60 and one from today. Today i checked the codes and had a 1211 and 1209. I have been driving easy but it is getting to where i can get a CEL if i try to go 50% throttle for any period of time.

I need to replace my glow plugs so the valve covers have to come off it will be my first time pulling them, so at that point i can run it with the covers off to see what the injectors are doing. If it matters i checked my IPR and ICP sensor tonight neither have oil on connector and the nut on IPR is tight. I have the right amount of oil im using T6 and it has about 3k miles on it, no boost leaks either.

My Questions
1, Could low fuel pressure cause low ICP? I dont have a fuel pressure gauge but am trying to rule out easy first.
2. Could Injector Orings leak bad enough to cause pressure to go that low?

From what I described would it lead you to believe it is Injectors, Orings, HPOP, Fuel pressure, or something else?

Im on a tight budget but have some money available to fix this i just dont want to buy parts that are not needed or dont help.

Sorry for the novel. Im hoping for a sure way to verify what needs to be replaced.

Attachments

• oldrun.JPG
    oldrun.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 47
  • lowicp.JPG
    lowicp.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Sounds like its time for a hpop broski honey badger Jr, adrenaline, t500 . Look into it

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

:whs:

264K on a stock HPOP really points at a weak pump being a definite possibility. 65% duty cycle means the pump is working its tail off to try and keep up with the demand.

Also, try switching to 15W40 oil and see what happens. I have seen numerous cases where the thinner oil will cause lower HPOP pressures.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
pretty much time for anything oil related at that mileage. you can either run it or look into a fresh hpop and injectors and get "like new" truck performance again.

pungohboy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just wanted to confirm my gut on this one. I plan on getting the valve covers off and see what the injectors look like. I was thinking about doing hpop and injectors but my bank account keeps telling me to fix what's worse first lol.
I was running 15w30 but switched for winter because she is hard to start when cold with the bad glow plugs and figured thinner oil may help. Over the past couple weeks I have watched the ICP steady drop so I need to get it fixed before it craps out on me. Thanks again.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
The T500 and HB JR are both great pumps made by great vendors, you cant go wrong with either on a budget pump like them. it will put some pep in her step for sure but your injectors i feel wont be too far behind.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just wanted to confirm my gut on this one. I plan on getting the valve covers off and see what the injectors look like. I was thinking about doing hpop and injectors but my bank account keeps telling me to fix what's worse first lol.
I was running 15w30 but switched for winter because she is hard to start when cold with the bad glow plugs and figured thinner oil may help. Over the past couple weeks I have watched the ICP steady drop so I need to get it fixed before it craps out on me. Thanks again.

Like stated already, with that many miles on it and depending on how well the maintenance was kept up or how it was drove, it could use a hpop and ipr, or even injector orings.. injector orings alone can put a hurting on hpo... how how smooth does it run at idle or normal driving? That can determine if injectors are bad.. if she purrs like a kitten then I would think injectors would be ok to just put fresh orings in and run it to recheck your hpo issue again.. but if you can afford it then maybe a good fresh set of reman injecotors since hou will be in there already. Then if you dont get hpo back where it should be then it might be time for a hpop... t500 is the cheapest route to go on those.

live life full throttle

pungohboy

Reaction score
It idles fine but I haven't been in a perfect running 7.3 in a long time. It feels fine normal driving just when you need to get up the road faster it hates it. The IPR is only a few months old and was a motorcraft part so I would hope its good. I decided to clean and reoring mine because of the 1211 and broke it, the new one made no difference in the way it ran. You have a good point maybe I can get by with orings its worth a shot.

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online