RSK shocks?

zarrinvz24

Reaction score
Going to start ordering all the parts required to install a PMF 2.5" RSK on my obs F350. Here is what I have/am about to order:

V code Front Leaf Springs (new from ford)
B code Rear Leaf Springs (new from ford)
PMF RSK
PMF Adjustable Track bar

-What shocks does everyone recommend running for my truck?
-I understand that I'm going to need some larger bolts, is that required for both the front and the back?
-I'm thinking of changing all the bushings on the truck over to poly, I'm assuming that now would be a good time to do the spring bushings; do I just order the ones for a super duty?

Thanks

zarrinvz24

Reaction score
After running a search it would seem that Bilstien 5125's are the preferred shock for an OBS with RSK. Anyone know exactly which 5125's I should order?

zilla68

Reaction score
I am in the process myself, I have all the info you need, give me a little bit to pull it all up.

My shocks for the rear just came in yesterday, ebay was the cheapest I could find.

I ordered everything thru sunrise, is that what your doing?

and I used u codes up front, on the recommendation of dieselbrad and the others that have had both.

zilla68

Reaction score
Front 33-185552 / F4-BE5-6248-H5
Rear 33-185569 / F4-BE5-6249-H5

bilstein, check ebay that's where I ordered all my shocks from, best price and had them in 2 days.

zilla68

Reaction score
I haven't done mine yet, but what brad told me is its a straight bolt in, UNLESS you have an intercooler, then you need some 1/2" grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers to take the place of the large bolt that will interfere.
you will need extended brake lines also so I ordered 2-3" over stock smoked from pmf since he stocks the smoked ones.
u codes up front,
b codes with overload for rear
new rear blocks from pmf 2.5 degree taper 4.5" tall with overload mount
new u bolts from pmf front and rear
all new leaf spring bolts from sunrise
new obs rear shackles from sunrise
all new shackle bolts and nuts from sunrise ford
front and rear shocks
REAR sway bar links from sunrise for use on the front since they are longer

my pmf ubolts, lift blocks and brake lines will be here today
I'm going to post up all the part numbers from ford when I get it all in today and tomorrow.

zilla68

Reaction score
those are rear with overload, I hope, that's what I ordered anyways.
I don't know about using the stock obs overload on the b code rear, I can compare when I get home, I see them sitting on my porch, lol, hope they are there when I get home

old man dave

Reaction score
The rears without overloads are:3C3Z-5560-B
The rears with overloads are:3C3Z-5560-CA

OBSWIZ sells the Bilsteins that are custom valved for the OBS trucks instead of the regular shocks.

Reaction score
I have been studying and collecting parts for a few years. ( I never do anything very fast) and building trucks all they way up to big rigs over the past 35 years.

I would not destroy brand new rubber spring bushings just to install Poly.

The purpose of the RSK is to soften the ride, why go out of the way to install parts that make it harsher and are prone to squeek.

Both of my trucks have poly right now but they were installed to replace worn out stock bushings.

TomS has commented on this as well.

zilla68

Reaction score
The rears without overloads are:3C3Z-5560-B
The rears with overloads are:3C3Z-5560-CA

OBSWIZ sells the Bilsteins that are custom valved for the OBS trucks instead of the regular shocks.

not sure what kind of "special valving" he has, but when I put this on psn I got a couple pm's that they are just plain old shocks, nothing special about them.
When I emailed the mfg I got a "they are all the same" response when I gave them the shock numbers and asked if they do any special valving.

Not saying he doesn't, just saying I couldn't verify it other than him saying it is special.

Reaction score
Going back to one of the first posts I'm confused by this:

"new rear blocks from pmf 2.5 degree taper 4.5" tall with overload mount"

First, factory blocks are flat no taper as far as I know. Running tapered blocks will cause driveline vibrations imo.

Also the overload mount, did you mean bump stop? The overload just sits on top of the main spring pack with a little block between them iirc.

Not criticizing just learning. This is on my TO DO list.

Swaan

Reaction score

First, factory blocks are flat no taper as far as I know. Running tapered blocks will cause driveline vibrations imo.

Also the overload mount, did you mean bump stop? The overload just sits on top of the main spring pack with a little block between them iirc.

I second the tapered block causing vibes. I did a rsk to my 97. I used 5" flat on the rear. Sits perfect and no vibes. The 4-1/2 tapered were to short and could never get the truck to run smooth. 5" flat block is what you want.

Tom S

Reaction score
Just running a F350 block on mine with a small carrier bearing shim.

old man dave

Reaction score
I just looked at the Bilstein website and they listed different shocks in the 5125 and 5160 series dependent on what length you wanted. Seems like it didn't matter whether it was and F150 or F-350, just the extension for different lifts. In the 4600 and 5150s there was only one pair listed.:shrug:

zarrinvz24

Reaction score
I second the tapered block causing vibes. I did a rsk to my 97. I used 5" flat on the rear. Sits perfect and no vibes. The 4-1/2 tapered were to short and could never get the truck to run smooth. 5" flat block is what you want.

Will the 5" block allow my truck to sit level with a B code in the rear and a V code up front w/2.25" RSK?

zilla68

Reaction score

the blocks are what trevor at pmf told me I needed to set level, the 2.5 deg is for the rear axle angle to be correct.

bump stop is what i meant, he has many options on his site and since mine had them I went ahead and ordered them to match my oem ones.

zarrinvz24

Reaction score
I'm not sure that the rear sway bar links are going to be long enough for the RSK & SD spring. The stock front link available on Napa website is 291mm long or ~ 11.5". I just looked at my truck and that seems to be a fairly accurate number. The rear sway links looked to be maybe an inch longer, and while Napa doesn't list one for 168" wheelbase the one listed for a 155" WB is only 323mm long (12.75").

If the RSK is 2.25" lift, and a SD leaf is an extra 1-1.5" wouldn't that neccesitate the use of the Skyjacker 3-4" additional length extended end link?

Please don't think that I am trying to be nit-picky; it seems that there are several of us doing this mod in the very near future, and while try as I might I have not found a complete parts list anywhere. Hopefully we can compile something that fits the bill by comparing ideas.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online