Steering column

DieselP814

Reaction score
Hey guys looking to replace my steering column in my 96 due to a lot of up and down play in the steering wheel, my question is, I have access to a couple f150 columns that I know will fit but they are automatics and mines 5 speed, is there anything in there that would keep them from not working on my truck obviously I gotta remove the shifter etc.., any help is greatly appreciated thanks

JSchuricht

Reaction score
It will work, you just need to remove a few torx screws to swap the shifter rod with the key release from the manual column. The only hangup I can think of is if one is adjustable and the other a fixed column.

DieselP814

Reaction score
It will work, you just need to remove a few torx screws to swap the shifter rod with the key release from the manual column. The only hangup I can think of is if one is adjustable and the other a fixed column.

Ok thanks for the input I'm gonna try and snag one of them here this weekend now that I know it should work

DieselP814

Reaction score
Would it just be easier to swap it out other than rebuild it? I haven't got the other column yet and I did think about rebuilding it but read somewhere just swapping it out would be easier and cheaper

JCart

Reaction score
Would it just be easier to swap it out other than rebuild it? I haven't got the other column yet and I did think about rebuilding it but read somewhere just swapping it out would be easier and cheaper

Easier yes cheaper depends on the cost of used parts and when you will have to change those bearings. Swapping bearings is not that big o deal. I rather do that then you know they'll be good for a long while.

DieselP814

Reaction score
Easier yes cheaper depends on the cost of used parts and when you will have to change those bearings. Swapping bearings is not that big o deal. I rather do that then you know they'll be good for a long while.

Where do you recommend getting the rebuild kit any local parts store

old man dave

Reaction score
Ford dealer item, try the online dealership parts sellers who are sponsors here.

Steering wheel bearing repair kit F6AZ-3605-A. Has upper and lower bearings and some other parts.
Bearing retainer, plastic F0DZ-3518-A. Not required but I broke mine taking out the bearing because I have hammer fingers.

There was a poster who said he was able to locate the bearings at a bearing supply house, but never posted numbers. A lot cheaper, according to him.

Last edited:

DieselP814

Reaction score
Ford dealer item, try the online dealership parts sellers who are sponsors here.

Steering wheel bearing repair kit F6AZ-3605-A. Has upper and lower bearings and some other parts.
Bearing retainer, plastic F0DZ-3518-A. Not required but I broke mine taking out the bearing because I have hammer fingers.

There was a poster who said he was able to locate the bearings at a bearing supply house, but never posted numbers. A lot cheaper, according to him.

Hey thanks man for the info appreciate it

old man dave

Reaction score
I used two welding tong style vise-grips to reassemble the tilt unit. Having a buddy will do the same thing to compress the tilt unit for reassembly.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Don't recall the rebuild kit being $150.00 and my parts are double you guys in the lower 48.

My memory is a bit foggy on it now but I believe all the parts from Ford were around $150. The kit you have to buy to get the one bushing that wears out and includes a bunch of parts that are essentially worthless was $75 IIRC... either way I know I spent way more rebuilding my column than I would have on a junk yard column but at least now I know I won't have any problems for a long time.

I used two welding tong style vise-grips to reassemble the tilt unit. Having a buddy will do the same thing to compress the tilt unit for reassembly.

I used 3 large zip ties to compress the tilt spring so I could reassemble it, then cut the zip ties once it was all together.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.