long crank time???

BigTonka

Reaction score
wondering what to look at? If my truck sits long (few hours) it does not fire right up once it starts it runs perfect. What could be going south? Engine has 120,000 miles on it.

webb06

Reaction score
So a long hot crank? Or does a few hours mean overnight?

Could be a leak in the high pressure oil system or ipr valve, weak hpop, a few different things. Need to monitor the icp while its having a long crank

BigTonka

Reaction score
I should have added more info in the first place that is what happens when you make a post after to many cold ones. After letting the truck sit 17 hours it took almost a min of cranking time (breaks during that time) for it to fire up and once started the glow plug light came on for a few sec. Went and ran some errands and the truck would start right up (less then 5 sec crank time. btw during all of this the temp was in the 60's

ghohouston

Reaction score
No, they shouldn't, but I haven't been in many 6.0's that would instantly fire up without letting the glowplugs warm for a few seconds. Hell, my moms 40k mile excursion wouldn't, and it was bone stock other than exhaust. Thats the lowest mile 6.0 I've ever worked on

Triumph1188

Reaction score
Otherwise you can splice into the ICP sensor on the passenger side valve cover and monitor the voltage while a friend turns the truck over. The computer won't fire the injectors if a minimum voltage isn't met. I belive .8v?

Have you checked the voltage at the ficm? That could be going out.

Are any updated parts installed in the high pressure oil system? Stc fitting, dummy plugs, stand pipes all have updated parts to eliminate leaks that cause a pressure drop. The stc fitting will blow off in some cases and take out the rear cover if it gets bad enough.

Latest posts

Members online