96 7.3

Reaction score
I just picked up a 96 F350 4x4 dually for a work truck. One owner with 145,000 miles. The truck has a zf5. I noticed it has a pretty loud rattle / vibration that starts around 2300 rpm. It happens it neutral or driving. P/o said he replaced the clutch. Any ideas? My thoughts are it’s something to do with the clutch, maybe a broken spring or out of balance.

Last edited:

79jasper

Reaction score
Double check to make sure the exhaust isn't touching anywhere. The downpipe likes to rub the firewall on some trucks.
Though you could be correct on the clutch. Could also have the dual mass flywheel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Double check to make sure the exhaust isn't touching anywhere. The downpipe likes to rub the firewall on some trucks.
Though you could be correct on the clutch. Could also have the dual mass flywheel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I cut the factory exhaust off yesterday, alothough the truck has an aftermarket 3” down pipe. I will double check clearance on the firewall.

On a different note the trans will grind into 3rd unless I let the Rpms drop back down to an idle and also while downshifting into second. To me something seems off with the clutch or somewhere related, still.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
You could take the access cover off the trans and make sure the flywheel is running true and see if you could tell if the noise is coming from there.

superpsd

Reaction score
3rd gear worn syncro grinding due to high mileage on the ZF are common. Mine grinds sometimes when cold Redline MTL helped cut down the grinding.

Reaction score
is it dual mass flywheel or the single?

Haven’t had time to look. My guess is a single with how it drives, but I could be wrong.

I’ve put a few hundred miles on the truck. No real changes to speak of besides figuring out how to shift the trans with out grinding.

Reaction score
3rd gear worn syncro grinding due to high mileage on the ZF are common. Mine grinds sometimes when cold Redline MTL helped cut down the grinding.

The truck only has 146k on it, no sure what constitutes high mileage for a zf. I have some LE fluid I’m going to put in to see if it helps any with the grinding.

I’d like to eventually put an auto in it and sell this manual as a package deal.

Reaction score
Well, leaving my house this morning the clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there. I haven’t had time to look into the issue.

Reaction score
Ended up replacing the fuel pump, truck runs better.

I’m still having an issue where the truck developes a slight miss at operating tempature. It runs perfectly when it’s cold. Not sure if it’s hpo related since it’s only happening when warm.

JCart

Reaction score
Ended up replacing the fuel pump, truck runs better.

I’m still having an issue where the truck developes a slight miss at operating tempature. It runs perfectly when it’s cold. Not sure if it’s hpo related since it’s only happening when warm.

Might be time for new o rings on the IPR, think Riff Raff has a Kit. Typically when they go it’s a hard start when warm and fires up fine when cold as the oil is thicker when cold.

For failing synchroes try filling tranny with Redline MTF, made a significant improvement on my ZFs and that is all I’ll run in them.
Cheers,
j

Reaction score
Might be time for new o rings on the IPR, think Riff Raff has a Kit. Typically when they go it’s a hard start when warm and fires up fine when cold as the oil is thicker when cold.

For failing synchroes try filling tranny with Redline MTF, made a significant improvement on my ZFs and that is all I’ll run in them.
Cheers,
j

What’s the part number for the mtf? All that came up on google was MTL.

Thanks

Latest posts